The Texas Homestead Law
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper explains the origins of the Texas Homestead Law that protects homeowners from seizure of their primary residence. The paper focuses on the potential abolishment of this law and argues against its abolishment on the grounds of the immediate and obvious concerns to homeowners, the potential economic downfalls and a real threat to the democratic institution in general. The paper considers the view that abolishment of the Act is necessary to address the purposeful abuse of the law by those who purchase a home and refuse to repay their credit card bills but contends that to abolish the law for these abusers is to punish honest citizens everywhere for the transgressions of the few.
From the Paper:"In the early nineteenth century, Americans were settling in Texas, and they found that their foreign debts followed them. In response to this, and to improve the welfare of his fledgling colony, Stephen F. Austin recommended a moratorium on foreign debts to the legislature of Coahuila and Texas, which soon passed Decree No 70 of 1829. Although this act was repealed in 1831, it remained active in many Texans' minds and set the standard for the Texas act of 1839. Because Texas was the first state to pass such a law, it became the state's particular contribution to jurisprudence (Texas Handbook)."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Jones, H. (16) The Texas Homestead Hoax. Victoria, B.C. Canada: 2004Trafford Publishing.
- Learning Express, . The Texas Real Estate Sales Exam. New York. Learning Express. 2003
- Texas Handbook. Web site:www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/HH/mlh2.html
- Texas Homestead Exemption (2006) web site: www.stoptexashoaforeclosures.com/TEXASHOMESTEADEXEMPTIONLAW.html
- Texas Homestead Services. (2006) web site: http://www.netside.net/~c3i/texas/practice_groups.htm
Cite this Argumentative Essay:
The Texas Homestead Law (2009, September 01) Retrieved December 09, 2019, from https://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/the-texas-homestead-law-116222/
"The Texas Homestead Law" 01 September 2009. Web. 09 December. 2019. <https://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/the-texas-homestead-law-116222/>