The Need for National Gun Control Legislation
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This pro gun control argumentative essay presents arguments made by both the pro gun control advocates who believe that current policies which differ by state should be replaced by a national legislative law to control the purchase of guns, and the anti gun control advocates whose argument is based on the 2nd Amendment which states that citizens have the right to bear arms. The author focuses on the dangers of legalizing weapons solely based on a two hundred year old piece of legislation which does not take into consideration individuals who are unable to properly handle guns or use them for criminal pursuits.
From the Paper:"Firearms are sold, just like most other products, through retail dealers. "Like many other consumer products in the US, most guns are initially sold to the public through a network of retail dealers. Persons in the business of selling firearms must obtain a federal firearm dealer's license. There were more than 54,000 federally licensed gun dealers in the United States in 2005, though this reflects a seventy-eight percent decline since 1994. Some states also require a state license to sell firearms" (Vernick et al 765). This tends to prove that there needs to be a single federal law that covers the licensing, sale and ownership of guns for use in either sports (hunting) or for protection (in provable cases).
"Until such a time, actions need to be taken locally in order to prevent illegal sales or unlicensed dealers from selling guns and ammunition. As Vernick et al (2006) point out: Recently, law enforcement in some cities has begun to more closely scrutinize the practices of some licensed dealers. In conjunction with lawsuits filed by the cities of Chicago, Detroit, and Gary, Indiana, police conducted undercover stings of gun dealers suspected of making unlawful sales, resulting in several arrests."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Burton, C. Emory: "The Urgency of Handgun Control" Christian Social Action, Nov-Dec., 1999
- Coalitiopn To Stop Gun Violence (CSGV): "NRA AGENDA DEFEATED IN 109th CONGRESS" dmoz.org/Society/Issues/Gun_Control/Anti-Gun_Rights/
- Morton, David: "Gunning for the World:" Foreign Policy, Jan-Feb 2006 (issue. 1252)
- Vernick, Jon S., Webster, Daniel W., Bulzacchelli, Maria T. and Samia Mair, Julie: "Regulation of firearm dealers in the United States: an analysis of state law and opportunities for improvement" Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics. Winter 2006 v34 i4 p765(11).
- U.S. Congress: "The Brady Bill" www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardwel/public/nfalist/brady_act.txt
Cite this Argumentative Essay:
The Need for National Gun Control Legislation (2010, April 13) Retrieved June 17, 2019, from https://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/the-need-for-national-gun-control-legislation-119249/
"The Need for National Gun Control Legislation" 13 April 2010. Web. 17 June. 2019. <https://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/the-need-for-national-gun-control-legislation-119249/>