The Issues with Capital Punishment
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses the issue of capital punishment and the impact it has on society. Using various studies and data, the writer explores such issues as deterrence, impact on various crime rates and overall accuracy of convictions. The fundamental question of the paper is whether or not the death penalty provides a deterrence. Much f the information used show that deterrence has had some effect, varying from state-to-state. But the paper concludes that no one can say with any certainty whether or not capital punishment deters crime based on the large body of conflicting studies.
From the Paper:"Mocan and Gittings (2003) once again found contrary results. They merged a state-level panel data set that included crime and deterrence measures and state characteristics with information on all death sentences handed out in the between1977 and 1997. Since the specific month and year of each execution and removal from death row could be determined, they were matched with state-level criminal activity in the relevant time frame. The authors investigated the rate of homicide based on the rates of impact of the execution, commutation and removal, homicide arrest, sentencing, imprisonment, and prison deaths. The results showed that each added execution lowered homicides by approximately five, and each additional commutation raised homicides about the same amount, while an added removal from death row lead to one additional murder."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Berk, R. (2005) New Claims about Execution and General Deterrence: Deja Vu All over Again? Journal of Empirical Legal Studies 2(2), 303-330 Death Penalty Information Center. Retrieved May 22, 2008. http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/
- Dezhbakhsh, H., Rubin, P. & Shepherd, J. (2003) Does capital punishment have a deterrent effect? American Law and Economics Review, 344.
- Donohue, J., & Wolfers, J. (2005) Uses and abuses of empirical evidence in the death penalty debate. Stanford Law Review 58(3), 791-863.
- Ehrlich, I. (1975). The deterrent effect of capital punishment: A question of life and death. National Bureau of Economic Research. Working Paper Series, 18.
- Hood, R. (2002) The Death Penalty: A World-wide Perspective. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
Cite this Argumentative Essay:
The Issues with Capital Punishment (2011, December 21) Retrieved May 10, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/the-issues-with-capital-punishment-149525/
"The Issues with Capital Punishment" 21 December 2011. Web. 10 May. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/the-issues-with-capital-punishment-149525/>