Terrorism and The Loss of Civil Liberties
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This essay discusses the paradigm shifts in power after the September 11th attacks on the World Trade Center. It discusses how U.S. Laws and Civl Liberties for U.S. citizens were altered or stripped entirely. THe writer also discusses the Guantanomo prison debacle and the Patriot Act. The paper concludes with a section on that aftermath of September 11 and how it has been a challenging era for U.S. history.
From the Paper:"The new millennium brought with it strange developments. On the one side we witnessed unthinkable terrorist plots killing thousands of innocent people on our homeland. On the other hand we saw the adoption of new anti-terror regulations granting unprecedented powers to law enforcers. The new 'preventive paradigm' strategy endorsed by the Bush administration included drastic changes in the form of the 'patriot act' that has placed security at a higher pedestal than civic liberties. Proactive profiling has created much furor among the minority population while privacy violations have evoked outcry among the public. Are the anti-terror initiatives overextended and highhanded? Has the new 'preventive paradigm' been successful in controlling terrorism or has it undermined the democratic society, which it seeks to protect? A brief discussion would provide us better insight into the issue."
Sample of Sources Used:
- 1) David Weigel, (Nov 2005), 'When Patriots Dissent: Surprise: Standing up to the Patriot act can be good Politics', Reason, 37(6), pp. 32-38.
- 2) Ken Olsen, (2007), 'Patriot Act's Wide Net', Nation, p. 8, 2007, September 24
- 3) Cole D& Lobel J, (2007) ' Why are we Losing the War on Terror', Nation, 285, 11-18.
- 4) Dalgaard - Nielsen A (2004),'Civic Liberties and Counter Terrorism: A European Point of View', Center for Transatlantic Relations, 2004
- 5) Theresa Nguyen H, (2002),' Anti-terrorist Law violates Civil Rights', The Yale Herald, NOVEMBER 21, 2002 VOL. XXXIV, NO. 12, Available online at, http://www.yaleherald.com/article.php?Article=1484
Cite this Argumentative Essay:
Terrorism and The Loss of Civil Liberties (2011, August 17) Retrieved July 02, 2022, from https://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/terrorism-and-the-loss-of-civil-liberties-147972/
"Terrorism and The Loss of Civil Liberties" 17 August 2011. Web. 02 July. 2022. <https://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/terrorism-and-the-loss-of-civil-liberties-147972/>