$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This essay describes the many benefits and positive aspects associated school uniforms as well as the arguments against them. According to the paper, research has shown that school uniform policies are assistive to students and faculty with regard to a multiple number of school issues and pervasive school problems. This is further elaborated upon in the paper, especially in regard to economic disparity among students and reducing violence and bullying in the school. Legislation is cited which also is supportive of school uniform policies as well. The arguments of those opposed to school uniforms are also mentioned, which consider them as reducing intellectual and political individuality and creativity among students, and not addressing the underlying problems of violence. The paper concludes by stating that the challenges to school uniform polices will likely continue, concurrently with those that stress the positive aspects of its implementation.
From the Paper:"Stressing the positive outcomes, which could be related to multi-causal relationships, such as greater awareness of the problem of bullying and implementation of zero tolerance polices in many schools that have allowed faculty and administrators greater control over the environment and marked response based action options may be premature but is still worth more than a second look by many schools and districts. If academic improvement, a reduction of school violence and an increased sense of community and safety in school culture indeed result from this relatively minor change schools should look at how school uniform policies could be fundamentally helpful to schools."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Daugherty, R. F. (2002). Leadership in Action: Piloting a School Uniform Program. Education, 123(2), 390+. Retrieved January 20, 2009, from Questia database: http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=5001509477
- Evans, D. L. (1996). School Uniforms: An 'Unfashionable' Dissent. Phi Delta Kappan, 78(2), 139. Retrieved January 20, 2009, from Questia database: http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=5001639496
- Hoge, J., Foster, S. J., Nickell, P., & Field, S. L. (2002). Mandatory School Uniforms: A Debate for Students. Social Education, 66(5), 284+. Retrieved January 20, 2009, from Questia database: http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=5000830160
- Koren, L. (1999, September 22). Schwartz Pushes for Uniforms in All Schools. The Washington Times, p. 1. Retrieved January 20, 2009, from Questia database: http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=5001303927
- Milner, M. (2004). Freaks, Geeks, and Cool Kids: American Teenagers, Schools, and the Culture of Consumption. New York: Routledge. Retrieved January 20, 2009, from Questia database: http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=108266888
Cite this Argumentative Essay:
Pros and Cons of School Uniforms (2010, December 24) Retrieved April 01, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/pros-and-cons-of-school-uniforms-146273/
"Pros and Cons of School Uniforms" 24 December 2010. Web. 01 April. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/pros-and-cons-of-school-uniforms-146273/>