Marx, Engels and the Bourgeoisie
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper attempts to exemplify the judgements and assumptions which Marx and Engels had towards the bourgeoisie through an assessment and examination of the "Manifesto of the Communist Party". It examines how Marx and Engels went to great length extolling the successes of the bourgeoisie. The paper also discusses how there are parts of the manifesto which represent a sustained attack on the bourgeoisie and the negative and disagreeable position they assume in capitalist functions. It contends that a closer examination reveals that praise for the bourgeoisie is necessary in order to fully account for capitalist functions, in particular the historical progression of such functions and how indeed, in praising the bourgeoisie Marx and Engels show the manner in which it is damned.
From the Paper:"The inherent wish on the part of Marx and Engels to lavish praise upon the bourgeoisie is evident almost from the beginning of the manifesto. Following brief introduction on the general characteristics of the capitalist epoch, Marx and Engels declare that "The bourgeoisie, historically, has played a most revolutionary part". Thus, the essential nature of historical change and development as understood by Marx and Engels is personified by the actions of the bourgeoisie. Moreover, as one continues to read the opening section of the manifesto there is an ever increasing barrage of positive sentiment transmitted from the authors to the bourgeoisie. "
Sample of Sources Used:
- Beamish, Rob. 'The Making of the Manifesto' in Panitch and Leys (eds) The Socialist Register, 1998, Halifax: Fernwood Publishing, 1998.
- Berman, Marshall. Adventures in Marxism, London: Verso, 1999.
- Berman, Marshall. All that is solid melts into air, London: Verso, 1983.
- Gavin, William. "Text Versus Context: Irony and the Communist Manifesto" Studies in Soviet Thought 37 (4) May 1989, pp. 275-285.
- Marx, Karl and Engels, Friedrich. Manifesto of the Communist Party, London: Cosimo, 2006.
Cite this Argumentative Essay:
Marx, Engels and the Bourgeoisie (2011, March 20) Retrieved December 09, 2022, from https://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/marx-engels-and-the-bourgeoisie-147333/
"Marx, Engels and the Bourgeoisie" 20 March 2011. Web. 09 December. 2022. <https://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/marx-engels-and-the-bourgeoisie-147333/>