Economics Development and the Canadian Environment
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper explains that, because economic development is essential for the economic stability of Canada, the government must develop a sustainable economic policy that does not hurt the environment especially for the Northwest, Yukon and Nunavut territories. Next, the author stresses that, even with its environmental and conservation policies, Canada is one of the primary polluters of the world. The paper describes the pervasive natural resource exploitations, which is the major cause of Canada's environmental problems, and concludes that there should be a holistic approach towards sustainable economic development which considers progressive economic development with an eye towards conservation of natural resources.
From the Paper:"There is excessive per capita energy consumption in Canada compared to other developed countries. Energy consumption has increased by 14% in the period between 1990 and 2001. The energy sources like electricity, natural gas, coal and petroleum products have an adverse impact on the environment. The important sectors which contribute to the Canadian economic development and account for energy consumption include the sectors of industrial --- 38.5% of national energy consumption, agricultural -- 2.7%, construction -- 0.7% approx. and transportation -- 29%."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Agioutantis, Zacharias. (2007) "Proceedings of the International Conference on Sustainable Development ..." SDIMI.
- Burton, Philip Joseph; National Research Council Canada; Adamowicz, W L. (2005) "Towards sustainable management of the boreal forest" NRC Research Press.
- Carter-Whitney, Maureen; Duncan, Justin. et. al. (2008) "Balancing Needs/Minimizing Conflict: A Proposal for a Mining Modernization Act" Retrieved 15 March, 2009 from http://www.cielap.org/pdf/MiningActReform.pdf
- Copeland, Brian R. (1998) "Canada in the 21st Century Series -- No. 8: Economics and the Environment: The Recent Canadian Experience and Prospects for the Future" Retrieved 15 March, 2009 from http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/eas-aes.nsf/eng/ra01719.html
- Cuddihy, John; Kennedy, Christopher; Byer, Philip. (2005) "Energy use in Canada: environmental impacts and opportunities in relationship to infrastructure systems" Can. J. Civ. Eng, vol. 32, pp: 1-15.
Cite this Argumentative Essay:
Economics Development and the Canadian Environment (2011, March 23) Retrieved February 16, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/economics-development-and-the-canadian-environment-147346/
"Economics Development and the Canadian Environment" 23 March 2011. Web. 16 February. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/economics-development-and-the-canadian-environment-147346/>