Does Capital Punishment Deter Murder?
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper introduces, discusses, and analyzes the topic of criminal justice and capital punishment. Capital punishment is said to be a deterrent to crime and murder and the paper discusses many studies that have shown that capital punishment is a deterrent to murder. It also shows the opposite perspective that it does not deter crime or murder. It also presents other arguments for and against capital punishment.
From the Paper:"Research also shows that much of the evidence used in death penalty studies can be skewed by the results of one state. Texas executes more prisoners than any other state. Researchers Sunstein and Vermeule found that one study was discredited for saying capital punishment is a deterrent because it based its evidence on data that included Texas for the final results. They found when the Texas data was removed from the remaining results, no deterrent was evident (Sunstein & Vermeule, 2005)."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Donohue, J.J. and Wolfers, J. (2006). The death penalty: No evidence for deterrence. Retrieved 20 April 2009 from the Death Penalty Info.org Web site: http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/DonohueDeter.pdf. 1-6.
- Editors. (2008). Capital punishment statistics. Retrieved 20 April 2009 from the U.S. Department of Justice Web site: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/cp.htm.
- Grant, R. (2004, January/February). Capital punishment and violence. The Humanist, 64, 25+.
- Haney, C. (2005). Death by design: Capital punishment as social psychological system. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Steiker, C. S. (2005). No, capital punishment is not morally required: Deterrence, deontology, and the death penalty. Stanford Law Review, 58(3), 751+.
Cite this Argumentative Essay:
Does Capital Punishment Deter Murder? (2011, September 01) Retrieved May 08, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/does-capital-punishment-deter-murder-148116/
"Does Capital Punishment Deter Murder?" 01 September 2011. Web. 08 May. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/does-capital-punishment-deter-murder-148116/>