Children and Obesity: Problem and Solution
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses how obesity is an ever growing problem that children in the U.S. face today and how it has a tremendous effect on a child's life by increasing a child's risk of having numerous health problems and creating emotional and social problems as well. The paper also looks at how with the proper intervention and support from a child's family it is possible for them to overcome this problem and not have to grow up to become an obese adult as well. It contends that the best method is to decrease caloric intake while increasing physical activity and that having the entire family join in the program that the child is trying to follow will go a long way in supporting their endeavor and help to ensure success.
From the Paper:"Older children should be taught to select healthy, nutritious foods and to develop good exercise habits while avoiding snacking or eating meals while watching TV (Anderson and Butcher, n.d.).
Having healthy eating habits and good physical activity are the keys to a child's well being. Eating too much and exercising too little will lead to obesity which will then cause health related problems that may follow children into adulthood. Parents can take an active role in keeping their children healthy, by teaching them good eating habits and encouraging physical activity habits that last a lifetime (Helping Your Overweight Child, n.d). Reaching and maintaining a good body weight is very important. The best way to approach this is by focusing on small but permanent changes in eating habits that may work better than a series of short term changes that can't be maintained. Reducing caloric intake is the easiest change that can be made. "
Sample of Sources Used:
- Anderson, Patricia M. and Butcher, Kristen F. "Childhood Obesity: Trends and Potential Causes." n.d. The Future of Children. 4 April 2009 <http://www.futureofchildren.org/information2826/information_show.htm?doc_id=351457>
- "Helping Your Overweight Child". n.d. Weight-Control Information Network. 4 April 2009 <http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/over_child.htm>
- "Obesity in Children". n.d. eMedicine Health. 4 April 2009 <http://www.emedicinehealth.com/obesity_in_children/article_em.htm>
- "Overweight and Obesity". n.d. Kids Health. 4 April 2009 <http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/body/overweight_obesity.html>
- "Overweight in Children". n.d. American Heart Association. 4 April 2009 <http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4670>
Cite this Argumentative Essay:
Children and Obesity: Problem and Solution (2011, February 11) Retrieved March 09, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/children-and-obesity-problem-and-solution-147057/
"Children and Obesity: Problem and Solution" 11 February 2011. Web. 09 March. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/children-and-obesity-problem-and-solution-147057/>