Canada's Harmonized Sales Tax (HST)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper argues that, although Canada's Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) is presented as greatly improving Canada recession-ridden economy, the HST is really a tactic to take money from the majority of common consumers to fund the greed of corporate manufacturers, high-class businessmen and politicians. Next, the author presents various writings about the HST and debates their truthfulness from his perspective coming from a low-income family. The paper underscores that the major principal grievance for many Canadian citizens including small business people is that the HST will take away their current savings from certain tax deductions. Quotations and a color illustration are included in the paper.
From the Paper:"My focal reason for the HST to be implemented at this time is the 2010 event. The Olympics will play a big factor in receiving over-flowing revenue from foreign tourists and even domestic sales inflation. There is a current Hotel Room Tax (HRT) present only in B.C., this tax is a current "additional 2% applied to certain communities which will continue to apply until June 30, 2011". So as noted by this, I presume Barbara Gupta was alluding to the community of Whistler when she stated "certain communities". The fact that she also specified that June 30, 2011 is the end date of the HRT brings up some interesting suspicions."
Sample of Sources Used:
- "BC HST for Small & Large Business | Stop HST." STOP the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST). Web. 05 Nov. 2009. <http://www.stophst.com/bc-hst/>.
- "British Columbia HST | Stop HST." STOP the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST). Web. 05 Nov. 2009. <http://www.stophst.com/british-columbia-hst/>.
- "GST/HST - Coin-operated machines." Canada Revenue Agency Web site. 20 June 2008. Web. 05 Nov. 2009. <http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst-tps/gnrl/txbl/cnmchns-eng.html>.
- "GST/HST - What we mean by taxable, zero-rated, and exempt supplies." Canada Revenue Agency Web site. 20 June 2008. Web. 05 Nov. 2009. <http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst-tps/gnrl/txbl/txblxmpt-eng.html>.
- Gupta, Barbara. "General HST Inquiry." Telephone interview. 21 Oct. 2009.
Cite this Argumentative Essay:
Canada's Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) (2011, July 27) Retrieved August 15, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/canada-harmonized-sales-tax-hst-147848/
"Canada's Harmonized Sales Tax (HST)" 27 July 2011. Web. 15 August. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/canada-harmonized-sales-tax-hst-147848/>