Assisted Suicide Versus Suffering
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The writer contends that outlawing assisted suicide is both illogical and irresponsible because it in effect forces terminally ill people into unnecessary suffering. The writer describes the suicide of Craig Ewert, who suffered from a degenerative disease and had to travel to Switzerland to be able to take his own life. The writer also discusses the Schiavo case where the family managed to keep her alive via a feeding tube. The writer asserts that this case shows how our society's illogical and irresponsible habit of clinging to life no matter what the cost strips everyone involved of the dignity we all deserve.
From the Paper:"There are few subjects that are quite as controversial as assisted suicide. Currently, most states do not legally allow the assistance of a terminally ill person in the taking of their own life. However, this attitude toward this act is both illogical and irresponsible because it in effect forces terminally ill people into unnecessary suffering. However, with recent laws in three states, it seems that social attitudes towards assisted suicide are changing."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Bruxelles, S. (2008, December 10). Professor Craig Ewert's final moments to be broadcast on TV. Times of London. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article5315633.ece
- Jones, L. (2008, December 9). Montana has become the third state to allow physician-assisted suicide. The Christian Post.com. http://christianpost.com/article/20081209/montana-becomes-third-state-to-ok-assisted-suicide.htm
- Schiavo autopsy shows irreversible brain damage. (2005, June 15). MSNBC.com. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8225637/
- Sosa, N. (2005, March 31). Terri Schiavo has died. CNN.com. http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/03/31/schiavo/
- White, M. (2008, December 11). Assisted suicide trial gets questions from jury. Canada.com. http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=1062476
Cite this Argumentative Essay:
Assisted Suicide Versus Suffering (2009, September 17) Retrieved December 07, 2019, from https://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/assisted-suicide-versus-suffering-116373/
"Assisted Suicide Versus Suffering" 17 September 2009. Web. 07 December. 2019. <https://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/assisted-suicide-versus-suffering-116373/>