Women in the News Media Analytical Essay by Jay Writtings LLC
Women in the News Media
Looks at the problems of discrimination against women in the news media especially television.
# 117149 | 1,760 words | 7 sources | MLA | 2009 |
Published on Nov 17, 2009 in Communication (Television) , Gender and Sexuality (Sexual Politics) , Women Studies (Women and Society)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper explains that few women in the news media have been able to develop a following because both viewers, advertisers and executives, including women, do not feel that women are as authoritative and knowledgeable as their male counterparts. The paper specifically addresses the history of women in the news media, the issue of equal pay and the additional requirement for on-camera women to be physically attractive.
From the Paper:"Still, there are a number of women who have and continue to receive recognition for their on-air work: Greta Van Susteren on Fox News, Ariana Huffington who has her own on-line news organization; Nancy Grace, who does crime on CNN, Andrea Mitchell on NBC-TV and host of her own show on MSNBC; and there were a number of black women (well after Oprah) who are making their mark, Charlayne Hunter on PBS, Rehema Ellis a reporter for NBC-TV, and Gwen Hill of PBS, who moderated the Vice-Presidential debate."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Bravo, Ellen: "WMC Commentary Women Don't Ask? No, Employers Don't Pay " The Women's Media Center, accessed Nov., 18, 2008 on www.womensmediacenter.com/ex/042108.html
- "Global Women Talk: Bridging the Gap on Gender Wage Disparity" Fletcher School of International Affairs, accessed Nov. 18, 2008 on fletcher.tufts.edu/news/2007/04/murphy.shtml
- "Jessica": "New project addresses lack of women in the media" accessed Nov. 18, 2008 on www.feministing.com/archives/003492.html
- Koss-Feder, Laura: "Study: Few Women at the Top of Media Companies" Women's E-News Sept. 23, 2002., accessed Nov., 18, 2008 on www.womensenews.org/article.cfm/dyn/aid/1048/context/archive
- Nash, Allana: "A shooting star burns out.(NBC anchorwoman Jessica Savitch drowned on Oct 23, 1983)" Entertainment Weekly n297 (Oct 20, 1995
Cite this Analytical Essay:
Women in the News Media (2009, November 17) Retrieved June 09, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/women-in-the-news-media-117149/
"Women in the News Media" 17 November 2009. Web. 09 June. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/women-in-the-news-media-117149/>