What Went Wrong in the Muslim World?
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper discusses the Muslim downslide following centuries of power and advancement, and why many Muslims blame Western influences for their poor living standards and lack of stable political leadership. The paper reviews the works of Bernard Lewis, Elizabeth Stone, Anthony Pagden and Samuel Huntington. The paper reaches the conclusion that Europe and the West became too powerful and too influential for the Muslim nations to compete with, and Muslim leaders had too difficult a time staying true to their faith while keeping up with the fast-changing dynamics of a new world order.
From the Paper:"But Lewis asserts that the downfall of Muslim culture and power began well before the colonial oppression brought by Europe and the Western cultural influence of America. In his search for culprits, Lewis reviews the most common rationalizations for the Muslim downslide - radicals like bin Laden say Islam abandoned the old and adopted new, Western-oriented ideas while other say Islam slipped because of the "inflexibility and ubiquity of the Islamic clergy, who... are responsible for the persistence of beliefs and practices" that are outdated (Lewis, 2002)."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Huntington, Samuel P. (2003). The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order.New York: Simon and Schuster.
- Lewis, Bernard. (1996). The Middle East: A Brief History of the Last 2,000 Years. New York:Simon and Schuster.
- Lewis, Bernard. (2002). What Went Wrong? Western Impact and Middle Eastern Response.Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Pagden, Anthony. (2008). Perpetual Enmity. History Today, 58(5), 14-21.
- Stone, Elizabeth. (1880). Turkey Old and New: Historical, Geographical and Statistical. NewYork: W.H. Allen & Co.
Cite this Analytical Essay:
What Went Wrong in the Muslim World? (2010, October 13) Retrieved April 18, 2019, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/what-went-wrong-in-the-muslim-world-144864/
"What Went Wrong in the Muslim World?" 13 October 2010. Web. 18 April. 2019. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/what-went-wrong-in-the-muslim-world-144864/>