UK Constitutional Reforms and Politics since 1997
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper explains that the rise of the New Labour party marked a new way of political thought, which brought with it many significant and sometimes controversial constitutional changes that altered the face of British politics. Next, the author describes the Election Manifesto of 1997, the 2005 Constitutional Reform Act, the House of Lords' radical new self-modernization plan and the devolution of powers to Scotland, Northern Island and Wales, all of which made the current political system almost unrecognizable from the pre-1997 structure. The paper concludes that this movement away from the centralized state has brought about a greater level of democracy to the UK, through regional diversity that allows local participation in the development of the respective countries.
From the Paper:"In 1997, both the Scottish parliament and the Welsh assembly were formed with the Welsh scraping in with 50.3% voting yes as compared to an overwhelming 74.3% in Scotland. This saw huge change in respect to where powers were held within the United Kingdom, particularly regarding the Scottish parliament, which was granted significant power. Areas kept under the power of Westminster were foreign policy and employment legislation and control of the monetary system; but, control of other important areas, such as law, home affairs and education, were all delegated."
Sample of Sources Used:
- I. Adams (1999) Ideology and politics in Britain today. Manchester. Manchester University Press.
- F. N Forman and N. D. J Baldwin. (2007) Mastering British Politics. 5th edition. Hampshire. Plagrave Macmillan.
- Fairclough, P. (2006) Oxford Revision Guides Government and Politics. Oxford. Oxford University Press.
- Liquida (2010) Ron Davies. [Internet] Available at: http://www.liquida.com/ron-davies/ Liquida. [Accessed: 2 March 2010]
- D. Watts. (2003) Understanding US/UK government and politics. Manchester. Manchester University Press.
Cite this Analytical Essay:
UK Constitutional Reforms and Politics since 1997 (2011, May 12) Retrieved April 19, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/uk-constitutional-reforms-and-politics-since-1997-147537/
"UK Constitutional Reforms and Politics since 1997" 12 May 2011. Web. 19 April. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/uk-constitutional-reforms-and-politics-since-1997-147537/>