This paper discusses tissue engineering that can be used for the repair and regeneration of various connective tissue structures.
# 112261 | 1,744 words | 12 sources | APA | 2009 |
Published on Feb 18, 2009 in Biology (Molecular and Cell) , Biology (Biotechnology) , Hot Topics (Stem Cell Research) , Medical and Health (General)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
In this article, the writer first explains that tissue engineering is an interdisciplinary field which utilizes the principles of life sciences as well as engineering for the creation of biological substitutes or replacements that can heal, improve, maintain or restore the functions of tissues. The writer notes that tissue engineering can be utilized to manufacture whole tissues in vitro or outside the body. The writer discusses the tissue engineering process and looks at biological printing and bionanotechnology. Further, the writer discusses the treatment of patients with spinal cord injury and the applications of tissue engineering in agriculture. The writer concludes that ethical and political aspects of fertility treatments, cloning, stem cell research and genetically modified food can influence or hamper further research and development in this field.
Sample of Sources Used:
- Atala, Anthony. (2007) "Principles of Regenerative Medicine" Academic Press.
- Bullis, Kevin. (2008, Jan/Feb) "Tiny Living Machines" Technology Review, Retrieved 1 May, 2008 from http://www.technologyreview.com/Nanotech/19874/
- Friedman, Yali. (2007) "The Business of Biotechnology: Profit from the Expanding Influence of ..." Logos Press.
- Gazit, Ehud. (2006) "Plenty of room for biology at the bottom: an introduction to bionanotechnology" Imperial College Press.
- Kessler, Jack. (2008, Apr) "Promising New Nanotechnology for Spinal Cord Injury" Retrieved 1 May, 2008 fromhttp://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/stories/2008/04/SpinalCordInjury.html
Cite this Analytical Essay:
Tissue Engineering (2009, February 18) Retrieved October 02, 2022, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/tissue-engineering-112261/
"Tissue Engineering" 18 February 2009. Web. 02 October. 2022. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/tissue-engineering-112261/>