The Toyota Production System
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper explains that the flexible production system, called Toyota Production System (TPS), which is an outgrowth of "just in time production", sets the basis for much of the lean production movement that has dominated manufacturing trends and led to the Six Sigma concept. For sure, the author points out, the concept of flexible production could be applied to other industries, such as high-tech and services, because every system contains waste that does not provide value to its customers. However, the paper concludes that there are some limitations in making fully this application to other types of industries, especially in the current era of customization.
From the Paper:"Actually, as we can see on Toyota website and as Middletown explains in the book Lean software strategies, TPS is a model built on two pillars: the first one would be the flexibility with Just in Time and the second one would be jidoka. This concept has for purpose to result in a tremendous improvement in productivity, according to Toyota's website. Thus, even high-tech industries (or also other kind of industries) may be encouraged to implement this system."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Toyota website, http://www.toyota.fr/experience/the_company/toyota-production-system.aspx
- Learning to see: value stream mapping to create value and eliminate muda, John Shook & Mike Rother, 2003.
- The Toyota Way: 14 management principles from the world's greatest manufacturer, Jeffrey K. Liker, 2004.
- L'esprit Toyota, Taiichi Ohno, 1989 (Masson).
- Team Familiarity, Role Experience, and Performance: Evidence from Indian Software Services, David Upton, 2007
Cite this Analytical Essay:
The Toyota Production System (2009, November 23) Retrieved October 22, 2019, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/the-toyota-production-system-117233/
"The Toyota Production System" 23 November 2009. Web. 22 October. 2019. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/the-toyota-production-system-117233/>