The Stories of Dr. Seuss
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper contends that Dr. Seuss's stories are actually social commentaries on a wide array of issues, including racism, gender and class inequalities, and other interpersonal issues. Dr. Seuss' stories, "The Sneetches, "The Lorax," and "Horton Hears a Who" are cited and reviewed as examples of the writer's contention.
From the Paper:"Horton Hears a Who is an interesting story because it examines how even seemingly insignificant things have an importance in the world. This is a story about an elephant named Horton who goes to great lengths to protect a tiny speck of dust after he hears cries of helping coming from it. This is important because elephants are very large creatures, but Horton still is compassionate enough to help this speck out. Children can take a great deal of meaning from this, as if this large elephant can care about something so small, then so can a child as, "A good children's book, moreover, must provoke a desire to return, to be read to from the same pages again and again."
Sample of Sources Used:
- All-refer. "Dr. Seuss, American Literature, Biographies". 23, April 2006. http://reference.allrefer.com/encyclopedia/S/Seuss-Dr.html
- Hart, Jane. "Happy birthday to Seuss: celebrated storyteller Dr. Seuss gains momentum as a serious artist" Art Business News. Feb. 2004. 23, April 2006. http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HMU/is_2_31/ai_113301247
- Kaplan, Melissa. "Theodor Seuss Geisel: Author Study" 23, April 2006. http://www.anapsid.org/aboutmk/seuss.html
- Lathem, Edward. Who's Who and What's What in the Books of Dr. Seuss. Hanover N.H.: Dartmouth University Press. 2000.
- Reid, Robin T. "A Politically Animated Dr. Seuss". Campaigns and Elections. Oct-nov, 2004. 23, April 2006. http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2519/is_9_25/ai_n6261007
Cite this Analytical Essay:
The Stories of Dr. Seuss (2009, December 25) Retrieved September 30, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/the-stories-of-dr-seuss-117953/
"The Stories of Dr. Seuss" 25 December 2009. Web. 30 September. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/the-stories-of-dr-seuss-117953/>