The Sixth Chapter of the Book of Isaiah
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper provides the writer's own translation of the text, compares and contrasts three major English bible translations, identifies the key terms used in the text, shows the theories of authorship, audience, occasion and the purpose of the passage. The paper also identifies the customs used in the passage and conducts a literary analysis of the same. Lastly, the paper discusses the applications of the passage in terms of its immediacy to a contemporary hearer, contemporary issues, theological problems, possible sermon suggestions and the outline of such a sermon.
From the Paper:"Different English Bible translations use different terms for some words in the text. The use of these different terms may alter the meaning of the text depending on how the different words are understood. For instance the King James Version says that after Isaiah was touched with a hot coal on his lips, his iniquity was taken away and his sin purged. This version does not say anything about the guilt that Isaiah was feeling earlier on. The New American Standard Bible (NASB) also says that Isaiah's iniquity was taken away and his sins forgiven but does not talk about the guilt. However, the New International Version (NIV) says that the guilt of Isaiah was taken away as well as his sins. These variations may cause a misunderstanding of this text ."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Matthews, Victor & Moyer, James. The Old Testament: Text and Context. Edition3, Baker Books, 2012. p.282
- Various Authors. New American Bible, Revised Edition. Fairbrother, 2011
- Oswalt, John. The Book of Isaiah: Chapters 40-66 The New International Commentary on the Old Testament Volume 2 of The Book of Isaiah, Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing, 1998, p.119
- Heskett, Randall & Irwin, Brian. The Bible as a Human Witness to Divine Revelation: Hearing the Word of God Through Historically Dissimilar Traditions Volume 469 of Library of Hebrew Bible/Old Testament Studies T & T Clark library of biblical studies. Continuum International Publishing Group, 2010, p.116
- Matthews, Victor & Moyer, James. The Old Testament: Text and Context. Edition3, Baker Books, 2012. p.306
Cite this Analytical Essay:
The Sixth Chapter of the Book of Isaiah (2013, July 10) Retrieved May 30, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/the-sixth-chapter-of-the-book-of-isaiah-153597/
"The Sixth Chapter of the Book of Isaiah" 10 July 2013. Web. 30 May. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/the-sixth-chapter-of-the-book-of-isaiah-153597/>