The Role of Women in Hamlet
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper shows how both of the women in Hamlet's life become, to some extent, the victims of his need to revenge his father's death. The paper highlights, however, how before they die, both Gertrude and Ophelia show Hamlet that they are not mere pawns in his games: Gertrude is an independent and willful Queen, who loves power and Ophelia is quick-witted and able to spar verbally with Hamlet. The paper shows how both women are certainly not 'frail', but are made vulnerable by the Prince's rage and misogyny.
From the Paper:"In this difficult play, women occupy a curious position - one which has lead to accusations of misogyny: "This motive of misogyny, or hatred of women, occurs throughout the play." In this story of murder and revenge, women are the passive figures, while Hamlet and the male figures move around them. There are only two women in Hamlet: Gertrude, Hamlet's mother and wife to two kings, and Ophelia, Hamlet's estranged girlfriend and daughter of Polonius, and so these women shall form the basis of this essay."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Dempsey, Russell "A Consideration of Shakespeare's portrayal of Women in the play Hamlet, in particular through Hamlet's attitude towards women" (2002) http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/badstoat/hamlet.html
- Jenkins, Harold (ed) Hamlet The Arden Shakespeare 1997.
- Johnson, Amanda "Relationships in Hamlet" (2005) http://vcclitonline.cc.va.us/TheHamletSite/womenessay.htm
- Mabillard, Amanda "Shakespeare's Ophelia" Shakespeare Online (2000) http://www.shakespeare-online.com/opheliachar.html
- Michael, David "Shakespeare's Presentation of Gertrude in Hamlet" (2007) http://www.quazen.com/Arts/Literature/Shakespeares-Presentation-of-Gertrude-in-Hamlet.46407
Cite this Analytical Essay:
The Role of Women in Hamlet (2009, November 20) Retrieved December 08, 2019, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/the-role-of-women-in-hamlet-117190/
"The Role of Women in Hamlet" 20 November 2009. Web. 08 December. 2019. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/the-role-of-women-in-hamlet-117190/>