The Pros and Cons of Genetic Engineering
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper takes a look at the issues involved in genetic engineering, including the pros, cons and the use of eugenics. The author begins with a discussion of randomness and chaos in nature, and how we interpret these phenomenon. The implications of gene modification are also presented, including the benefits of germ-line gene therapy. The author continues by explaining eugenics, its positive aspects and its potential for abuse. In closing, the author argues that we must use wisdom when using genetic engineering.
From the Paper:"Some forms of genetic modifications can be beneficial. Germ-line gene therapy involves inserting genes and artificial chromosomes into the embryo (First GM, 2001). This is used to cure genetic and behavioural disorders such as schizophrenia. (Heaf, n.d.) It also can increase the intelligence or physical performance of the organism. (Holtzman, 2005) These genetically altered traits are passed down to the person's offspring, which includes irreversible mistakes (Heaf, n.d.). This is clearly eugenics because the offspring as specifically altered to display favored characteristics."
Sample of Sources Used:
- chaos theory - Definitions from Dictionary.com. (n.d.). Retrieved January 5, 2008, from HYPERLINK "http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chaos%20theory" http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chaos%20theory
- Chaos Theory: A Brief Introduction . (n.d.). Retrieved January 5, 2008, from HYPERLINK "http://www.imho.com/grae/chaos/chaos.html" http://www.imho.com/grae/chaos/chaos.html
- Designer Babies The Future of Technology Genetic Engineering. (2007, June 9). Retrieved January 5, 2008, from HYPERLINK "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1-DpvPW-Ec&feature=related" www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1-DpvPW-Ec&feature=related
- Dixon, P. (2007, June 14). Future of genetic engineering - by Futurist Dr Patrick Dixon. Retrieved January 5, 2008, from HYPERLINK "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_UoReSgz84&NR=1" www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_UoReSgz84&NR=1
- eugenics - Definitions from Dictionary.com. (n.d.). Retrieved January 6, 2008, from HYPERLINK "http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/eugenics" http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/eugenics
Cite this Analytical Essay:
The Pros and Cons of Genetic Engineering (2010, April 09) Retrieved March 01, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/the-pros-and-cons-of-genetic-engineering-119193/
"The Pros and Cons of Genetic Engineering" 09 April 2010. Web. 01 March. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/the-pros-and-cons-of-genetic-engineering-119193/>