The Gospel of John - The Prologue, Verses 1 -5
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper addresses various questions about the "Gospel According to John", focusing on its prologue and verses 1-5. Various scholars and their opinions about issues in this gospel are quoted and further discussed. The paper notes that the prologue has sparked great debate and dialogue in the search for the truth and understanding of the nature of what it means to be divine as well as what it means to be human. The paper includes an appendix showing a facsimile of an original manuscript of the "Gospel of John."
From the Paper:"Taking the Gospel of John as a whole and the prologue in particular one must remember that it is primarily a tale of revelation and not necessarily cosmological or even theological speculation and argument. In some sense the entire Gospel itself is akin to a liturgical hymn so it is no mystery that many feel that it begins that way. The images in the prologue reveal the experience, as John sees it, of encountering and understanding the nature of God within and without."
Sample of Sources Used:
- "Adveniat Regnum Tuum." Commonweal 17 Dec. 2004: 5-7.
- Augustine. Tractates on the Gospel of John. Trans. John W. Rettig. Vol. 5. Washington, DC: Catholic University of America Press, 1988. '
- Barnes, Michel Rene. "Augustine in Contemporary Trinitarian Theology." Theological Studies 56.2 (1995): 237-250.
- Brodie, Thomas L. The Gospel According to John: A Literary and Theological Commentary. New York: Oxford University Press, 1997
- Celsor, Scott A. ""God's Grace Effects What He Declares": Scriptural Support for the Agreement on Justification in the Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification and Salvation and the Church." Journal of Ecumenical Studies 39.3-4 (2002): 289-299.
Cite this Analytical Essay:
The Gospel of John - The Prologue, Verses 1 -5 (2011, October 12) Retrieved September 30, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/the-gospel-of-john-the-prologue-verses-1-5-148360/
"The Gospel of John - The Prologue, Verses 1 -5" 12 October 2011. Web. 30 September. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/the-gospel-of-john-the-prologue-verses-1-5-148360/>