The Chemistry of Computer Chips
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper explains that computer chips are in almost every piece of equipment. Next, the author underscores that computer chips are made of smaller components called microprocessors; therefore, understanding the construction of microprocessors is essential to understanding chip construction. The paper describes the method of creating a flawless silicon base with a monocrystalline structure as developed by MEMC in Sherman, Texas.
From the Paper:"A silicon wafer is placed between two metal plates in a vacuum chamber. Air is pumped out of the chamber, and chlorine gas is pumped in. The metal plates are each connected to a high voltage that cycles on and off ten million times a second, charging the gas. This forms the plasma, as the chlorine gas separates and leaves individual chlorine atoms and charged chlorine ions. The ions attach themselves to the surface of the silicon wafer and create SiCl2 gas, which is pumped out of the chamber, along with some Si atoms."
Sample of Sources Used:
- How It's Made: How Do They Make Silicon Wafers and Computer Chips? - Video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWVywhzuHnQ
- Get Inside an Intel 45nm Chip Factory - Video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PecKlm6VutU
- Inside the Intel Manufacturing Process: How Chips Are Made - Website,http://www.intel.com/education/makingchips/index.htm
- Computer Chip Chemistry - Book - author: Moore,Published August 1998, John Wiley and Sons, Inc
- SEMATECH: Semiconductor Manufacturing Process - Website,http://www.sematech.org/corporate/news/mfgproc/mfgproc.htm
Cite this Analytical Essay:
The Chemistry of Computer Chips (2011, April 25) Retrieved December 09, 2019, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/the-chemistry-of-computer-chips-147481/
"The Chemistry of Computer Chips" 25 April 2011. Web. 09 December. 2019. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/the-chemistry-of-computer-chips-147481/>