$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper examines the Boston ban's effect on tobacco sales and provides an analysis of the stakeholders impacted by this ban. The paper discusses how the ban creates new problems for tobacco companies' marketing efforts, and challenges them to find new sources of new customers.
Effect on Tobacco Sales
Effect on Tobacco Sales
From the Paper:"The regulation singles out pharmacies for the ban, under the theory that pharmacies represent part of the health care system and therefore should not be selling a product that damages people's health. Pharmacies account for 4% of total sales of tobacco products (Magee, 2008). This is against the will of the vast majority of pharmacists. However, the major corporations that run the pharmacies, CVS and Walgreen's, generate substantial profit from the sale of cigarettes. The total market is $65 billion, so the take of the pharmacies is estimated to be $2.6 billion. Thus, the city of Boston felt that the ban needed to come from their end."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Smith, Stephen. (2009) Cigarettes Gone from Pharmacy Shelves in Boston. Boston Globe. Retrieved February 15, 2009 from http://www.boston.com/news/health/blog/2009/02/cigarettes_gone.html
- Hirschkorn, Phil & Pinkston, Randall. (2009). Boston Bans Cigarette Sales in Drug Stores. CBS News. Retrieved February 15, 2009 from http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/02/08/eveningnews/main4784060.shtml
- No author. (2009) Pharmacy Tobacco Sales Banned in Boston. Drug Topics. Retrieved February 15, 2009 from http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Modern+Medicine+Now/Pharmacy-tobacco-sales-banned-in-Boston/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/574348?contextCategoryId=47465
- Magee, Mike. (2008). Tobacco sales at Pharmacies? Health Commentary. Retrieved February 15, 2009 from http://healthcommentary.org/public/item/213922
- Gebhart, Fred. (2008). Tobacco Sales Ban Hits San Francisco Retail Pharmacies the Hardest. Drug Topics. Retrieved February 15, 2009 from http://www.modernmedicine.com/modernmedicine/Pharmacy/Tobacco-sales-ban-hits-San-Francisco-retail-pharma/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/549113?contextCategoryId=47401
Cite this Analytical Essay:
The Boston Tobacco Ban (2010, December 07) Retrieved July 14, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/the-boston-tobacco-ban-145935/
"The Boston Tobacco Ban" 07 December 2010. Web. 14 July. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/the-boston-tobacco-ban-145935/>