The Battle of Palmito Ranch
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses the Battle of Palmito Ranch during the American Civil War. The author describes the events leading up to this last major clash between the Union regiments and the Confederates. As there was a cease-fire agreement between the Union and the Confederates, the author also discusses possible reasons why this fight might have taken place. The war tactics employed by both parties in the battled are looked into and an analysis of the strategies employed is included.
From the Paper:"The Union regiments made several critical errors in their battle plan which led to their ultimate failure to attain the victory that Colonel Theodore H. Barrett so desired. Whether politically motivated or no, the young, fairly inexperienced colonel led his force through the arid, desert-like plains of southern Texas and allowed his troops to be pushed back by the Confederates, who numbered almost half as many. Volunteer battalions came in to aid both sides, but in the end it was the Union soldiers who suffered the heaviest losses, leading to the seemingly shameful loss to the Texas Confederacy."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Axelrod, Alan. 2006. Encyclopedia of the U.S. Army. New York: Checkmark Books.
- Author Unknown. 2004. Historical Landmarks of Brownsville: Palmito Ranch Battlefield. http://blue.utb.edu/localhistory/historical_landmarks_page%204.htm (accessed Jan. 2007)
- Author Unknown.2006. Palmito Ranch. http://www.cr.nps.gov/hps/abpp/battles/tx005.htm (accessed Jan. 8, 2007)
- Author Unknown. 2005. The Battle of Palmito Ranch: May 12-13, 1865 in Cameron County, Texas. http://www.mycivilwar.com/battles/650512.htm (accessed Jan. 8, 2007)
- Davis, Stanford L. 2002. Missouri's Gallant 62nd. http://old.mocivilwar.org/history/features.php?ID=25 (accessed Jan. 8, 2007)
Cite this Analytical Essay:
The Battle of Palmito Ranch (2009, August 30) Retrieved October 25, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/the-battle-of-palmito-ranch-116140/
"The Battle of Palmito Ranch" 30 August 2009. Web. 25 October. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/the-battle-of-palmito-ranch-116140/>