The Art of Egyptian Civilization
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper focuses on the "New Kingdom" period of Egyptian art, or that time from approximately 1550 to 1069 BCE, and describes the important artistic influences and styles that define the period. The paper shows how the reforms in art seen during this period represent a change from a rigid and stylistic form of art to art as a method of celebration of form as well as function.
From the Paper:"To understand the art of Egyptian civilization one must understand the historical context. The period of art discussed in this paper comes from what is termed the "New Kingdom" period, or that time from approximately 1550 to 1069 BCE. Of course, Egyptian art significantly predates this period, but historical events tended to have the most dynamic impact during this era. Additionally, while the names of most of the artists have been lost to posterity, it is possible to describe important artistic influences and styles which define the period. Initially a polytheistic society, the original purpose of Egyptian art was as a repository for the essential element or ka of the human body. Early Egyptian art work was developed solely to decorate the resting place of the ka. Reverence for the ka meant that the early work was almost grotesque in its exaggeration and restraint. The reforms in art seen during this period represent a change from a rigid and stylistic form of art to art as a method of celebration of form as well as function."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Egyptian History and Art, Accessed on July 9, 2008 via the Internet at http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/prehistory/egypt/history/periods/newkingdom.html
- Trachtenberg, Marvin; Isabelle Hyman (2003). Architecture, from Prehistory to Postmodernity. Italy: Prentice-Hall Inc., 71
- Internet Ancient History Source Book, Accessed on July 9, 2008 via the Internet at http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/asbook.html
- Nicholson, Paul T. et al. (2000). Ancient Egyptian Materials and Technology. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press
- Ancient Egypt (Maintained by the British Museum) Accessed on 9 July 2008 via the Internet at http://www.ancientegypt.co.uk/
Cite this Analytical Essay:
The Art of Egyptian Civilization (2009, March 24) Retrieved November 17, 2019, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/the-art-of-egyptian-civilization-113217/
"The Art of Egyptian Civilization" 24 March 2009. Web. 17 November. 2019. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/the-art-of-egyptian-civilization-113217/>