Stereotypes - The Metrosexual
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper examines stereotypes about the modern man, focusing on what the paper describes as "metro-sexuals." First, the paper discusses images of men and masculinity from previous generations, when men were expected to be strong, tough and stoic. It contrasts this with the image of the modern man, who is still strong, yet has emotional depth and cares about his appearance. The paper further points out that despite these qualities, he is still heterosexual. The paper concludes by noting that the lives of men have changed and evolved over the last twenty years or so, especially related to their concerns over personal appearance and hygiene and how others view them in society.
From the Paper:"Metro-sexuals are also said to have more female friends than male friends. Is there something wrong with this perception? I do not believe so because men have different motives in life; some wish to date women and then marry them, while others tend to be womanizers. Men who have more female friends, I tend to think, are not necessarily metro-sexuals; they may be homosexual or perhaps just your "average Joe" who feels more comfortable with women, an attribute which very few men possess and who clearly have the ability to connect and understand women. If this truly is a metro-sexual attribute, many men are going to begin calling themselves "metro" in order to boast about being the new "modern man."
Also during my research, I came across a website designed primarily for people who are trying to figure out if they fit the stereotypical image of a metro-sexual via a compilation of eight statements which if answered truthfully will reveal if a person can be labeled as a metro-sexual. Some of these statements include asking if you take care of your hair, if you wear designer clothing, or if you partake in spa treatments. If any of these questions are answered with a yes, then you are a metro-sexual. "
Sample of Sources Used:
- Brennan, Jake. "Are You a Metro-Sexual?" Askmen.com. Internet. Retrieved May 16, 2009 from http://www.askmen.com/daily/austin_100/102_fashion_style.html.
- McFedries, Paul. "Metro-Sexual." Wordspy. Internet. Retrieved May 16, 2009 from http://www.wordspy.com/words/metrosexual.asp.
- "Metro-Sexual." Wikipedia. Internet. Retrieved May 16, 2009 from http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrosexual.
- Raymond, Vanessa. "How to Know If You're a Metro-Sexual." Internet. Retrieved May 16, 2009 from http://www.howtodothings.com/fashion-and-personal-care/a4677-how-to-know-if-youre-a-metrosexual.html.
- "Rise of the Metro-Sexual." Theage.com. Internet. Retrieved May 16, 2009 from http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/03/10/1047144914842.html.
Cite this Analytical Essay:
Stereotypes - The Metrosexual (2011, November 06) Retrieved February 21, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/stereotypes-the-metrosexual-148805/
"Stereotypes - The Metrosexual" 06 November 2011. Web. 21 February. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/stereotypes-the-metrosexual-148805/>