Same-Sex Marriage: The Legal and Practical Debate
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper aims to demonstrate how the issue of same-sex marriage provokes a sense of religiously-infused hostility from those who have rallied to prevent it, denotes a civil rights issue to those who believe it a fundamental right and involves the lawmaking and judiciary bodies of states and of the nation as a whole. The paper discusses the use of the Christian faith as a way to instigate the abuse, exclusion and discrimination of gays and lesbians and also points out how homosexual couples living together in committed relationships are not entitled to many of the same benefits accorded to heterosexual married couples. The paper looks at California where the issue is extremely complex and ridden with political overtones and highlights how this denotes that on both sides of the issue, parties are politically well-organized, given significant swathes of public support and deeply, emotionally and permanently committed to their respective positions.
From the Paper:"Perhaps this was best illustrated in the catalyzing events of 2004, when the Bush Administered registered its objection to the volition of specific states to begin to push forward legislation recognizing gay marriage. Gay marriage has long been a lightning rod for conservative, Republican and Christian groups, offending a proclaimed sensibility that homosexuality is a sin which must be eradicated from society. Naturally, this is a perspective which is steeped in a complex morass of psychosocial complexes, moral dogmas and geographical patterns. However, the Bush Administration would tie the issue most directly to an ideal constructed by Christian values."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Associated Press (AP). (2009). Gay Marriage Momentum in New England Stalls in Rhode Island. Fox News. Online at http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05/08/gay-marriage-momentum-new-england-stalls-rhode-island/
- Brunker, M. (2004) Bush defends call for gay marriage ban. MSNBC. Online at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4360783/
- Crary, D. (2009). 5 Years On, Gay Marriage Debate Fades in Mass. Associated Press. Online at http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090509/ap_on_re_us/us_gay_marriage_five_years
- Masci, D. (2008). An overview of the same-sex marriage debate. The Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life. Online at http://pewforum.org/docs/?DocID=288
- Masci, D.1. (2008). The Constitutional Dimensions of the Same-Sex Marriage Debate. The Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life. Online at http://www.stateline.org/live/details/story?contentId=347390
Cite this Analytical Essay:
Same-Sex Marriage: The Legal and Practical Debate (2011, October 27) Retrieved March 03, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/same-sex-marriage-the-legal-and-practical-debate-148549/
"Same-Sex Marriage: The Legal and Practical Debate" 27 October 2011. Web. 03 March. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/same-sex-marriage-the-legal-and-practical-debate-148549/>