"Regents of the University of California v. Allan Bakke"
This paper takes a look at the historical affirmative action case involving Allan Bakke and analyzes its effect on American history.
# 117558 | 2,428 words | 8 sources | MLA | 2009 |
Published on Dec 09, 2009 in Law (Constitution) , African-American Studies (Civil Rights) , Law (Historic Trials) , Hot Topics (Affirmative Action)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper examines and discusses the history of the 1978 case, "Regents of the University of California v. Allan Bakke", involving a white medical school applicant, Allan Bakke. The paper discusses how the ruling violated the 14th amendment's equal rights clause and how the Supreme Court ruled in Allan Bakke's favor. The paper also covers the historical impact that the ruling had on schools' admissions programs.
From the Paper:"The case of the Regents of the University of California v. Allan Bakke became a benchmark case in Affirmative Action programs that universities and colleges implemented to increase minority enrollments. The 1978 case involved a white, medical school applicant to the University of California at Davis named, Allan Bakke. In 1973 and 1974, Bakke applied to UC Davis Medical School and was denied admission after being considered only under the general admissions program. Even though Affirmative Action programs in medical school admissions aim to provide more minority doctors to serve minority patients, UC Davis violated the 14th Amendment's Equal Protection Clause because their admissions program was not the least intrusive way to achieve racial integration and racial quotas should have been deemed unconstitutional."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Amicus Curiae to Supreme Court. 17 Feb. 2003. Harvard University. 21 Apr. 2009 <http://www.princeton.edu/pr/news/briefs/03-02-17-harvard.pdf>.
- Berger, Joseph. "EDUCATION; The Bakke Case 10 Years Later: Mixed Results." New York Times 13 July 1988. <http://www.nytimes.com/1988/07/13/us/education-the-bakke-case-10-years-later-mixed-results.html?pagewanted=1>.
- Crabtree, Steve. "The Gallup Brain: Bakke and Affirmative Action." 28 Jan. 2003. Gallup. Polls. <http://www.gallup.com/poll/7660/Gallup-Brain-Bakke-Affirmative-Action.aspx>.
- Davis, Abraham. The Supreme Court, Race, and Civil Rights. Sage, 1995.
- Dworkin, Ronald. "Bakke's Case: Are Quotas Unfair?" Reverse Discrimination.
Cite this Analytical Essay:
"Regents of the University of California v. Allan Bakke" (2009, December 09) Retrieved September 28, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/regents-of-the-university-of-california-v-allan-bakke-117558/
""Regents of the University of California v. Allan Bakke"" 09 December 2009. Web. 28 September. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/regents-of-the-university-of-california-v-allan-bakke-117558/>