Racism in Australia: Past, Present and Future
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper provides an examination of why racism in Australia is a problem and looks at causes and examples of racism. The paper clearly demonstrates how racism towards Aborigines is a severe problem that is directly related to Australia's racist past. The paper provides suggestions for solving this problem and encouraging acceptance of diverse groups.
From the Paper:"The many situations in which racism has been used against Aborigines and other non-whites paint a picture of why racism in Australia is a major problem. The recent attacks on Indian students, the political positions of white supremacists, and the treatment of Aborigines in many public circumstances points out the harmful consequences that racism may have. The Australians for Native Title Reconciliation (n.d.) group discuss a situation in which members of a leadership organization, who also happened to be Aborigines, were asked to leave a resort because high-paying tourists expressed their fear of the group (para. 2). In an other circumstance, the Australians for Native Title Reconciliation (n.d.) notes that racism was responsible for a woman's failure to receive help in a medical emergency, in addition to a man's failure to be admitted into an establishment. Thus, racism is a problem in Australia because it affects the lives of those who are simply attempting to use their basic human rights to live and thrive. Racism impacts not only the ability of certain Australians to thrive, but also their ability to have their basic needs met. Further, racism is a problem because it creates a society in which certain people are valued over others not because of their merit, but simply because of the color of their skin."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Australians for Native Title and Reconciliation. (n.d.). Racism in Australia Facts. Retrieved June 20, 2009, from the Australians for Native Title and Reconciliation web site. Web Site: http://www.antar.org.au/node/221
- Haigh, B. (2009, Jun. 3). Racism in Australia. Retrieved June 20, 2009, from ABC Net. Web Site: http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/stories/s2588104.htm
- Kim, I. (2007, Feb. 23). Australia's racist past and present. Retrieved June 20, 2009, from Green Left. Web Site: http://www.greenleft.org.au/2007/700/36338
- Knox, M. (2003, Jan. 20). Wake up Australia, racism is a problem. Retrieved June 20, 2009, from the UK Guardian. Web Site: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2003/jan/20/cricket
- McCarthy, T. (2000, Oct. 20). The Stolen Generation. Retrieved June 20, 2009, from Time Magazine. Web Site: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,998067,00.html
Cite this Analytical Essay:
Racism in Australia: Past, Present and Future (2011, November 24) Retrieved January 23, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/racism-in-australia-past-present-and-future-149092/
"Racism in Australia: Past, Present and Future" 24 November 2011. Web. 23 January. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/racism-in-australia-past-present-and-future-149092/>