Origin and History of Rap Music
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper discusses how rap music can be traced back to the African cultural traditions of oral story telling, vocalization and other cultural aspects that were retained by the slaves who went to America. The paper also explains that the political and social desire for freedom from oppression shaped many of the characteristics of rap music. The paper therefore shows how te issue of cultural domination in the United States as well as in many other countries brought about a movement of resistance which, to a large extent, is voiced and expressed in the contrary and unconventional styles and lyrics of rap music.
Sample of Sources Used:
- KEYES C. L. ( 2002) Rap Music and Street Consciousness . Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
- Kopano, Baruti N. "Rap Music as an Extension of the Black Rhetorical Tradition: "Keepin' It Real"." The Western Journal of Black Studies 26.4 (2002): 204+. Questia. 31 Mar. 2008 <http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=5001926756>.
- Marino, Michael. "Rap Music and Street Consciousness." Popular Music and Society 28.2 (2005): 271+. Questia. 31 Mar. 2008 <http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=5009435925>.
- Ramsey, Guthrie P. Race Music: Black Cultures from Bebop to Hip-Hop. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press, 2003. Questia. 31 Mar. 2008 <http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=105683091>.
- Wood, Brent. "Understanding Rap as Rhetorical Folk-Poetry." Mosaic (Winnipeg) 32.4 (1999): 129. Questia. 31 Mar. 2008 <http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=5001869554>.
Cite this Analytical Essay:
Origin and History of Rap Music (2009, July 13) Retrieved August 14, 2022, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/origin-and-history-of-rap-music-115235/
"Origin and History of Rap Music" 13 July 2009. Web. 14 August. 2022. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/origin-and-history-of-rap-music-115235/>