Natural Disaster Response
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper defines what is meant by first responders, disasters and the criteria for declaring a disaster that requires federal assistance. The paper relates some of the federal responsibilities of the HLT (Hurricane Liaison Team), which is a venture between FEMA and the National Hurricane Center (NHC). The paper also reports that if FEMA functions properly in these disasters, then suffering will be mitigated and the eventual recovery will be hastened.
From the Paper:"The WHO Question: Who is affected- who makes up the majority of the effected population? Are these people who speak English or will translators be needed? Are these disaster- educated people who understand how to help immobilized? Is the eye of the disaster area in a place where there are individuals who cannot help, such as an assisted living, or an orphanage?
"The WHERE question: Where is the eye of the storm and main disaster area? Where has been hardest hit? Is the location currently accessible, or waterlogged and only air evacuations are possible?"
Sample of Sources Used:
- FEMA. (2009, June 4). Hurricane Liaison Team. Retrieved February 11, 2010, from FEMA: http://www.fema.gov/plan/prevent/nhp/fs_hlt.shtm
- Louisiana Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness. (n.d.). Definition Of A Hurricane. Retrieved February 13, 2010, from Louisiana Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness: http://gohsep.la.gov/factsheets/DefinitionOfaHurricane.htm
- Pierce County Emergency Management. (2005, March 16). WHO IS A FIRST RESPONDER? Retrieved February 12, 2010, from Pierce County Emergency Management: http://www.piercecountywa.org/pc/abtus/ourorg/dem/DefineFirstResponder.htm
- University of Pittsburgh. (n.d.). Definition of a Disaster. Retrieved February 10, 2010, from Definition of a Disaster: http://www.pitt.edu/~epi2170/lecture15/sld007.htm
- What Happens Now. (2009, May). HOW DISASTERS ARE DECLARED. Retrieved February 13, 2010, from What Happens Now.com: http://www.whathappensnow.com/articles_show.cfm?id=87&cat=4&sub=1
Cite this Analytical Essay:
Natural Disaster Response (2011, April 03) Retrieved February 28, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/natural-disaster-response-147441/
"Natural Disaster Response" 03 April 2011. Web. 28 February. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/natural-disaster-response-147441/>