Mandatory Health Insurance in Oregon
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper examines the effects of imposing mandatory health insurance laws on all citizens of the state of Oregon. The writer discusses the financial challenges such a law would impose on low income citizens and how these citizens, that lack the financial ability to pay for insurance, would, consequently, not be able to avoid violating a mandatory health insurance law. The paper concludes that even though the framers of mandatory health insurance do not seem to have placed much value in the potential impact of unforeseen unemployment and do not seem to have much regard for the guarantees provided under equal protection under the law, these factors are directly relevant and must be evaluated. This document appends some of the sources used in writing this paper.
From the Paper:"Oregon's proposed policy that would implement mandatory health insurance requires careful study and a three dimensions of feasibility analysis, primarily because several inherent provisions of this prospective law appear to be unworkable and unenforceable. A range of other potential problems exists, but a significant unforeseen problem is that criminalizing low income citizens for being unable to afford health insurance may be in conflict with the constitutional guarantee of equal protection under the law."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Beauchamp, Dan. (1996). Health Care Reform and the Battle for the Body Politic.Philadelphia: Temple University Press.
- Ehrlich, Isaac. (1997). National Health Policy: What Role for Government? New York: Hoover Institute.
- Fahrenthold, David. (April 5, 2006). "Mass. Bill Requires Health Coverage." The Washington Post.
- Kindig, David. (1996). Understanding Universal Health Programs: Issues and Options. Washington D.C.: Health Administration Press, 1996.
- "Maryland Considering Mandatory Health Insurance." (November 19, 2006).IJ. Insurance Journal. Online. Available: http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/east/ 2006/11/19/74431.htm. 24 November 2006
Cite this Analytical Essay:
Mandatory Health Insurance in Oregon (2008, January 14) Retrieved July 10, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/mandatory-health-insurance-in-oregon-100604/
"Mandatory Health Insurance in Oregon" 14 January 2008. Web. 10 July. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/mandatory-health-insurance-in-oregon-100604/>