Kindergarten Lesson and Farm Animals Analytical Essay by Jay Writtings LLC
Kindergarten Lesson and Farm Animals
This paper provides a critique of a thematic unit lesson for kindergarten regarding farm animals.
# 117556 | 3,029 words | 9 sources | APA | 2009 |
Published on Dec 08, 2009 in Education (Theory) , Education (Early Childhood) , Language (General) , Education (Multiculturalism)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
In this article, the writer evaluates a prepared lesson plan from a popular educational website for elements that aims to add to the language comprehension and development of students who are learning English as a second language. The writer notes that the thematic unit on "Farm Animals" was designed to teach students about different animals that can be found on a farm using activities from each academic discipline. The writer maintains that the online KidZone Unit discussed is likely to be widely used by novice teachers who are unaccustomed to preparing their own lessons or harried teachers with too much to do and not enough time in which to do it. The writer concludes that through thoughtful consideration of student needs and research supported strategies, teachers can use thematic units purchased from educational book stores or accessed on popular websites as a collection of ideas around which sound instructional decisions may be made.
Lesson Plan and Evaluation
Lesson Plan and Evaluation
From the Paper:"This activity supports language acquisition through the provision of visual supports that prepare students for the context of the farm animal unit. Students are then asked to choose their favorite farm animal and either color a pre-printed coloring page of this animal or draw the animal from memory or a model.
"An integrated math activity follows the drawing or coloring of a favorite farm animal. In this activity, students are asked to show the animal they chose as their favorite and share with the class if they have seen the animal in person. The teacher is to keep a tally of the favorite animals or have the children hand their pictures on the bulletin board. On a farm animal graph, students are asked to reproduce the tally marks to make their own chart and fill in their graphs. The teacher is to ask students to determine the most popular farm animal in the class based upon their graph. In this series of activities, students are encouraged to use higher-level thinking skills as they evaluate the characteristics of each animal in order to choose a favorite and then compare their choice to the choice of their classmates. The level of language required for these activities may be varied by the questioning techniques used by the teacher, but it is possible for a child who is not ready to speak to complete the activities without talking."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Armstrong, T. (1994). Multiple intelligences in the classroom. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
- Avalos, M. A. (2003). Effective second-language reading transition: From learner-specific to generic instructional models. Bilingual Research Journal, 27(2), 171.
- Chen, X. (2006). Struggling readers at the middle level: A cross-cultural study of the social aspect of their reading. Retrieved April 27, 2007 from http://etd.lib.ttu.edu/theses/ available/etd-07192006-155333/unrestricted/Chen_Xiufang_Diss.pdf
- English Raven (2007). The natural approach. Retrieved April 25, 2007 from http://www.englishraven.com/method_natural.html
- Freeman, D. & Freeman, Y. (1988). Sheltered English instruction: ERIC digest. ERIC Clearinghouse on Languages and Linguistics. Washington DC. Retrieved April 25, 2007 from http://www.ericdigests.org/pre-9210/english.htm
Cite this Analytical Essay:
Kindergarten Lesson and Farm Animals (2009, December 08) Retrieved March 26, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/kindergarten-lesson-and-farm-animals-117556/
"Kindergarten Lesson and Farm Animals" 08 December 2009. Web. 26 March. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/kindergarten-lesson-and-farm-animals-117556/>