Kahane and Revisionist Zionism
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper first explains that the Jewish Defense League (JDL) was and continues to be among the most controversial of Jewish groups in the United States. Next, the author traces the growth of American Rabbi Meir Kahana's religious, right-wing Jewish fundamentalist JDL from its roots in Ze'ev Jabotinsky's secular, anti-religious revisionist Zionism. The paper stresses that, through the strong influence of the 1960s American society, the JDL and Rabbi Kahane wanted to instill a Jewish pride in American-Jews as a form of nationalism just as the Black Panthers wanted for the African-Americans.
From the Paper:"America was on the brink. Groups such as the Black Panthers and the Manson Family were making the news, the country was in a state of constant change and turmoil between the Vietnam War, the inter-city riots, and assassinations, the country was in its bloodiest time since the Second World War. It was during this heavily changing, unsure, but highly prosperous time, that Meir Kahane founded the Jewish Defense League. The Jewish community was leaving the cities, out to the suburbs and previously Jewish neighborhoods were changing racially and economically. "
Sample of Sources Used:
- Baumel, Judith T. "Kahane in America: An Excersise in Right-Wing Urban Terror." Studies in Conflict & Terrorism. 1999 (1999): 311-329
- Heilman, Samuel C. Portrait Of American Jews: The Last Half of the 20th Century. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1995.
- Kahane, Meir. Never Again! New York: Pyramid Books, 1971.
- Kahane, Meir. The Jewish Idea. Jerusalem: Institute for Publication of the Writings of Rabbi Meir Kahane, 1998.
- Kotler, Yair. Heil Kahane! New York: Adama Books, 1986.
Cite this Analytical Essay:
Kahane and Revisionist Zionism (2010, August 15) Retrieved May 30, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/kahane-and-revisionist-zionism-128830/
"Kahane and Revisionist Zionism" 15 August 2010. Web. 30 May. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/kahane-and-revisionist-zionism-128830/>