International Communication Case Analysis
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper discusses the communication factors present in the business cases of American companies expanding their marketing, pricing strategies, and aftermarket services businesses into France. The paper analyzes the five cultural dimensions of power distance index (PDI), individualism (IDV), masculinity (MAS), uncertainty avoidance index (UAI), and long-term orientation (LTO), which are used as the basis for comparing communication proprieties and strategies for attaining collaboration leading to goal attainment.
From the Paper:"For any American company looking to expand into the France the business cases of marketing, distribution, pricing strategies and aftermarket services all need to be based on a solid foundation of understanding how the communication styles, patters and approaches are significantly different between each country. Using the five cultural dimensions (Hofstede, 525) of Personal Distance Index (PDI), Individualism (IDV), Masculinity (MAS), Uncertainty Avoidance Index (UAI), and Long-Term Orientation (LTI), an American company would quickly realize that all aspects of the businesses cases need to respect the significant differences between each nation on the PDI, UAI and LTO indices of the Hofstede Cultural Dimensions Model. In general the U.S. also has a higher value on the IDV index, indicating more of a loosely structured set of relationships between individuals. The higher the IDV value in the Cultural Dimensions index, the greater the expectation in a culture of the individual being autonomous and taking care of their immediate family, independent of a more collectivist approach. This has major implications in the development of marketing, distribution, pricing, and aftermarket services strategies on the part of an American company looking to expand into the French market. Figure 1 shows the comparison of the U.S. and French cultures along Hofstede's five cultural dimensions."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Olivier Furrer Universite de Neuchatel (Suisse) Visiting Assistant Professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign D. SUDHARSHAN, Professor of Business Administration Associate Dean for Planning University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. "SEGMENTER LE MARCHE EUROPEEN DES SERVICES: UNE APPROCHE CULTURELLE. " Revue Francaise du Marketing No 181 (2001): 81-95. ABI/INFORM Global. ProQuest. 24 Mar. 2008 <http://www.proquest.com.>
- Hofstede, Geert. "An American in Paris: The influence of nationality on organization theories. " Organization Studies 17.3 (1996): 525. ABI/INFORM Global. ProQuest. 22 Mar. 2008 <http://www.proquest.com>
- Hofstede, Geert (2). "Hofstede Cultural Dimensions." ITIM International . 2008. ITIM International. 28 Mar 2008 http://www.geert hofstede.com/hofstede_dimensions.php?culture1=95&culture2=33
- Cornelis J Lammers. "Occupation regimes alike and unlike: British, Dutch and French patterns of inter-organizational control of foreign territories. " Organization Studies 24.9 (2003): 1379-1403. ABI/INFORM Global. ProQuest. 21 Mar. 2008 <http://www.proquest.com>
- Gloria Moss, Gerald Vinten. "Choices and preferences: Testing the effect of nationality. " Journal of Consumer Behaviour 1.2 (2001): 198-207. ABI/INFORM Global. ProQuest. 19 Mar. 2008 <http://www.proquest.com>
Cite this Analytical Essay:
International Communication Case Analysis (2008, August 14) Retrieved March 04, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/international-communication-case-analysis-106785/
"International Communication Case Analysis" 14 August 2008. Web. 04 March. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/international-communication-case-analysis-106785/>