$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper focuses on "intelligent design," explaining that the philosophy's major tenets amount to an adjustment - or an offshoot - in philosophy from creationism. The paper notes that the theory of intelligent design states that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, rather than by an undirected process such as natural selection. The paper asserts that there can be no doubt among serious scholars that Darwin's theory of evolution is logical and based on science, but what apparently bothers some fundamentalist Christians and other conservatives is that Darwin's theory posits that humans evolved from apes. This will likely always be a sticking point for anti-evolutionist thinking, the paper predicts, but opines that what is worse in this country is when politics sticks its ugly head in between science and religion, as it does on occasion. The paper concludes that federal judges aren't in place to please their political benefactors; they are in place to defend the U.S. Constitution, which made it clear there must be a separation of church and state.
From the Paper:"Unlike creationism - which is based specifically on religious text - ID is said to "start with empirical evidence of nature" and from there ID researchers attempt to "ascertain" what inferences can be "drawn" from that empirical evidence, according to the Web site. A less esoteric and more straightforward definition of ID is found in a New York Times article written by journalist Laurie Goodstein. "Intelligent design posits that biological life is so complex that it must have been originated by an intelligent source" (Goodstein, 2005). The proponents of ID do not, however, define the identity of that source of intelligence, Goodstein adds, but it clearly is God they are alluding to."
Sample of Sources Used:
- All About Science. "Darwin's Theory of Evolution - A Theory in Crisis." Retrieved March 5, 2009, from http://www.darwins-theory-of-evolution.com/
- Center for Science Culture. "Definition of Intelligent Design." Retrieved March 5, 2009, from http://www.intelligentdesign.org/whatisid.php.
- Dixon, Thomas. "America's Difficulty With Darwin." History Today 59.2 (2009): 22-28.
- Goodstein, Laurie. "Judge Bars 'Intelligent Design' from PA Classes." The New York Times 20 Dec. 2005. Retrieved March 5, 2009, from http://www.nytimes.com.
- Jones, John E. III. "Inexorably Toward Trial: Reflections on the Dover Case and the 'Least Dangerous Branch.'" The Humanist 61.1 (2008): 23-27.
Cite this Analytical Essay:
Intelligent Design vs. Evolution (2010, December 21) Retrieved September 29, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/intelligent-design-vs-evolution-146183/
"Intelligent Design vs. Evolution" 21 December 2010. Web. 29 September. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/intelligent-design-vs-evolution-146183/>