Influence of Rhetoric on Society
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper looks at applications of rhetoric in history and explores the views of Hobbes, Locke, Cicero and Aristotle on rhetoric. The paper comes to the conclusion that rhetoric is not only important but is greatly significant to society. The paper discusses, however, how rhetoric's persuasive ability is difficult to predict, and therefore the use of rhetoric is potentially dangerous to society and to the user himself.
From the Paper:"The significance of rhetoric in society can be seen by examining previous applications of rhetoric in history. In Cicero, Rhetoric, and Empire, C.E.W Steele discusses how Cicero's speeches have persuaded on issues such as "foreign, or imperial affairs: when prosecuting or defending provincial governors accused of extortion, when speaking in cases concerning the claims to citizenship, the choice of commanders for military campaigns" (3). Examples of such speeches include Cicero's "Verrines," "pro Flacco," and "pro Fonteio" (Steele 3). Because Cicero had previously managed to apply rhetoric to persuade on such significant societal issues, rhetoric can clearly be very significant to society. Also, Aristotle mentions how rhetoric had previously been used to persuade on "war and peace, national defense, imports and exports, and legislation" (35)."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Coward, Harold G. "'Speech versus Writing' in Derrida and Bhart hari." Philosophy East and West 41.2 (1991): 141-62. Print.
- Derrida, Jacques. "Signature, Event, Context." Limited Inc. Trans. Samuel Weber and Jeffrey Mehlman. Evanston: Northwestern University Press, 1988. 1-23. Print.
- Norris, Christopher. Derrida. Cambridge, MA: Harvard UP, 1987. Print.
- Plato. "Phaedrus." Plato on Rhetoric and Language. Ed. Jean Nienkamp. Mahwah: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc., 1999. 165-214.
- Taylor, A. E. "The Phaedrus." Plato: The Man And His Work. New York: Dial, 1936. 299-319. Print.
Cite this Analytical Essay:
Influence of Rhetoric on Society (2010, December 22) Retrieved September 29, 2022, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/influence-of-rhetoric-on-society-146207/
"Influence of Rhetoric on Society" 22 December 2010. Web. 29 September. 2022. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/influence-of-rhetoric-on-society-146207/>