Governor Patrick's "Charter Day Address"
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper explains that, following in the footsteps of Barack Obama who gave an eloquent and effective speech during Howard University's Convocation Day, Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick delivered a wondrous and thought provoking keynote speech in 2008 at Howard University's Charter Day. The paper then explains the use of rhetorical devices in this address, such as colloquialistic expressions, humor, pathos, repetition, ethos, metaphors and euphemisms. The paper concludes that the speech of the second African-American governor ever elected, Deval Patrick, profoundly affected the Howard institution.
From the Paper:"A major rhetorical device that was used in this address was one of colloquialistic expressions which are can be "used in or characteristic of familiar and informal conversation'. In lieu of boring the audience citing historical precedent and preaching the sanctity and integrity of the institution of Howard University, an esteemed and highly regarded intellectual stood center-stage and spoke from the heart as he educated about the audience about education. Instead of opting to bedazzle the crowd with such intellectual and academic words of grandeur, he spoke in every day terminology."
Sample of Sources Used:
- "A General Summary of Aristotle's Appeals." Durham Technical Community College. 9 Mar. 2008 <http://courses.durhamtech.edu/perkins/aris.html>.
- "Colloquial." Merriam Webster. 9 Feb. 2008 <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/colloquial>.
- Ferri, Lisa, and Olivia Sterns. "Patrick: Plagiarism Accusation Against Obama 'Extravagant'" ABC News. 19 Feb. 2008. Good Morning America. 9 Mar. 2008 <http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Vote2008/story?id=4310143&page=1>.
- Hamilton, Kerry-Ann. "Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick to Deliver Charter Day Address." 25 Feb. 2008. Howard University. 9 Mar. 2008 <http://www.howard.edu/newsroom/releases/080225CharterDayOrator.htm>.
- "Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick Delivers Charter Day Address." Howard University. 9 Mar. 2008 <http://www.howard.edu/newsroom/080307CharterDayAddress.htm>.
Cite this Analytical Essay:
Governor Patrick's "Charter Day Address" (2008, December 03) Retrieved August 13, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/governor-patrick-charter-day-address-109559/
"Governor Patrick's "Charter Day Address"" 03 December 2008. Web. 13 August. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/governor-patrick-charter-day-address-109559/>