Foreign Policy Throughout the Twentieth Century
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper begins by addressing the history of American twentieth century foreign policy as being a conflict between internationalism and isolationism. The paper describes five major periods of transition of twentieth-century American foreign policy and analyzes each. This paper then examines American interventions in the world from the Cold War to the Persian Gulf.
From the Paper:"Many foreign policy analysts have noted a conflict between internationalism and isolationism in the history of United States foreign policy. However, the recurrence of these ideas is not coincidence. In fact, as Schonberg (2003) claims in Pursuing the National Interest: Moments of Transition in Twentieth-Century American Foreign Policy, these ideas 'combined with their clear effects on actual policy in every era suggests that their role in the process of foreign policy change should be considered more closely.' (Schonberg, 2003, p. 230) Looking at the five major periods of transition of twentieth-century American foreign policy, the premise of this study will conclude that the U.S. has slacked in living up to the ideal set in motion under the administration of President Woodrow Wilson in committing its armed forces to battle."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Gilboa, E. (1995). "The Panama Invasion Revisited: Lessons for the Use of Force in the Post Cold War Era." Political Science Quarterly, 110 (4): 539.
- Hirst, D. W. (1989). The Papers of Woodrow Wilson, Volume 60: June 1-June 17, 1919. Woodrow Wilson Edited by Arthur S. Link and David W. Hirst. Princeton University, Princeton, N.J.
- Lefebvre, J. A. (1993). The U.S. Military Intervention in Somalia: A Hidden Agenda? Middle East Policy, 2 (1), 1993: 44.
- Simon, D. M. (2002). The War in Vietnam,1965-1968: Americanizing the War. Retrieved August 9, 2006 from http://faculty.smu.edu/dsimon/Change-Viet2.html.
- United States non-interventionism. (2006, August 5). Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved August 9, 2006, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=United_States_non- interventionism&oldid=67900180.
Cite this Analytical Essay:
Foreign Policy Throughout the Twentieth Century (2009, November 27) Retrieved October 20, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/foreign-policy-throughout-the-twentieth-century-117318/
"Foreign Policy Throughout the Twentieth Century" 27 November 2009. Web. 20 October. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/foreign-policy-throughout-the-twentieth-century-117318/>