Focusing on Business Ethics Analytical Essay by Nicky
Focusing on Business Ethics
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper explains that, despite their company's formal code of ethics and mission statements, several companies, especially Enron, blatantly violated their own ethical principles and policies. Next, the author discusses the need to teach ethics at universities especially business schools. The paper reviews the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 (SOX) that was enacted after the Enron, WorldCom and other corporate scandals as a temporary solution to corporate corruption and ethical breaches.
From the Paper:"The bill provides new or greatly enhanced standards for all U.S. public companies in terms of their boards, their management, and the public accounting firms that are linked to their management and services, according to www.soxlaw.com. There are 11 titles to the act, and the PDF that provides the entire specifics of the act is 66 pages long. It was obviously the work of lawyers meticulously working through many legal and corporate issues, trying to come up with legislation that would assure the American public that something positive was being done to prevent further Enron-like financial scandals."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Bavier, Anne R. (2009). Holding Students Accountable When Integrity is Challenged. NursingEducation Perspectives, 30(1), 5-5.
- Johnson, Craig Edward. (2008) Meeting the Ethical Challenges of Leadership: Casting Light On Shadow. New York: Sage Publishers.
- Kelly, John M. (2009). Moral Business. First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & PublicLife, Vol. 190, 9-10.
- Nguyen, T. Nhung, Basuray, M. Tom, Smith, William P., Kopka, Donald, & McCulloh, DonaldN. (2008). Ethics Perception: Does Teaching Make a Difference? Journal of Education forBusiness, 84(2), 66-75.
- Nicholson, Carolyn Y., & DeMoss, Michelle. (2009). Teaching Ethics and Social Responsibility:An Evaluation of the Undergraduate Business Education at the Discipline Level. Journal ofEducation for Business, 84(4), 213-218.
Cite this Analytical Essay:
Focusing on Business Ethics (2011, August 18) Retrieved June 09, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/focusing-on-business-ethics-147980/
"Focusing on Business Ethics" 18 August 2011. Web. 09 June. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/focusing-on-business-ethics-147980/>