Equal Opportunity and Managing Diversity Practices in Organisations
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
A diverse organization values on differences and recognizes the fact that new ideas are generated by people with varied attitudes, skills and backgrounds. This paper defines what is meant by encouraging diversity as opposed to focusing narrowly on providing equal opportunities. It describes the benefits to an organization that promotes a diverse workforce and concludes that diversity management will allow the organization to be more effective in granting equal opportunity while enabling broader ideas in a competitive environment. This paper includes a table.
From the Paper:"The role of equal opportunity and managing diversity in any organization is to ensure that work opportunities in that organization are available to multiple cultures and races that do not discriminate on the basis of sex or disability. Respecting diversity is at the heart of most farsighted and proactive organizations. Respecting the significance of diversity is basic to the manner in which the organization views equality and multiculturalism. Societies are becoming more complex and individuals need to be valued in all that the organization does. Diversity implies giving value to all employees and to the contribution that they make. Proactive organizations welcome the differences amongst people and use them in leveraging to add more depth and meaning to their work. This way talents and capabilities of workers can be exploited to the maximum in giving workers opportunities for professional development."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Agocs Carol & Catherine Burr, (1996). "Employment Equity, Affirmative Action and Managing Diversity: Assessing the Differences", International Journal of Manpower, vol.17.
- Bagihole Barbara, (2009). Understanding Equal Opportunities and Diversity, Policy Press.
- Bercussen Brian & Linda Dickens (1996). Equal Opportunities and Collective Bargaining in Europe, Defining the Issues, European Foundation for the Improvement of Living and Working Conditions, Dublin.
- Cartwright Roger, (2001). Managing Diversity, Capstone.
- Dickens Linda (1999), Beyond the business case: A three-pronged approach to equality action, Human Resource Management Journal, vol. 9.
Cite this Analytical Essay:
Equal Opportunity and Managing Diversity Practices in Organisations (2011, July 19) Retrieved January 27, 2022, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/equal-opportunity-and-managing-diversity-practices-in-organisations-147817/
"Equal Opportunity and Managing Diversity Practices in Organisations" 19 July 2011. Web. 27 January. 2022. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/equal-opportunity-and-managing-diversity-practices-in-organisations-147817/>