Dickinson's Poetry: Beauty in Simplicity
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper asserts that Emily Dickinson's lack of exposure to wider society and the world at large allowed her to achieve such enduring success in her work. The paper examines Dickinson's relationships and reveals that although she was perhaps poor in direct experience, her life was rich in emotion and intellect. The paper looks specifically at the male influences in her life, her faith and her love of nature and contends that they greatly impacted the beauty and austerity of her poems.
From the Paper:"Many works of poetry benefit from dramatic and complex imagery. The poems of Emily Dickinson, however, function in the realm of the sublime. The simple nature of her words, the plainness of her language, and indeed the very austerity of her life all contributed to the artistry that has continued to live on long after her death.
"Far from being a well-traveled "citizen of the world", lustily absorbing the experiences life had to offer, Dickinson was the product of a close New England family that she was never really comfortable leaving. Like her sister, Lavinia, Emily preferred the home she grew up in and returned to it after only a year away from at school. (Sewell)"
Sample of Sources Used:
- Dickinson, Emily. The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson. Boston: Little, Brown, 1924; Bartleby.com, 2000. 23 May 2006. <www.bartleby.com/113/>.
- Sewall, Richard Benson. The Life of Emily Dickinson. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1994.
- Author unknown. Emily Dickinson. poets.org (The Academy of American Poets). 2006. 22 May 2006. <http://www.poets.org/poet.php/prmPID/155 >
- Branigan, Joanna, et. al. Virtual Emily. University of Massachusetts. April 1997. 22 May 2006. <http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~emilypg/index1.html. >
- Martin, Wendy. The Cambridge Companion to Emily Dickinson. Cambridge. Cambridge University Press, 2002.
Cite this Analytical Essay:
Dickinson's Poetry: Beauty in Simplicity (2009, December 18) Retrieved October 20, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/dickinson-poetry-beauty-in-simplicity-117758/
"Dickinson's Poetry: Beauty in Simplicity" 18 December 2009. Web. 20 October. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/dickinson-poetry-beauty-in-simplicity-117758/>