Business Use of Social Networks Analytical Essay
Business Use of Social Networks
Looks at the advantages and problems associated with businesses using Facebook and other social networking websites.
# 147625 | 1,715 words | 11 sources | APA | 2010 |
Published on May 25, 2011 in Business (Companies) , Business (Management) , Communication (Interpersonal) , Computer and Technology (Internet)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper explains that, although the world of social media is usually associated with young people socializing, social networking, such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and MySpace, is being used by businesses including the healthcare industry. Next, the author relates specific examples of the benefits and problems already experienced with this new venture in communications. The paper underscores that currently there are not enough laws, guidelines, regulations and standards to manage effectively the use of social networking, especially issues of personal privacy and of safety from data leakage, malware, phishing scams and open access to companys' servers.
From the Paper:"The world of business has utilized social media for marketing, communication, and recruiting. Businesses such as BMW and some insurance firms have an account in Second life, a free virtual world where users (called residents) interact. Birmingham, UK, has a complete replica of their city in Second Life. The virtual Birmingham allows visitors and tourists to view amenities and attractions before they visit. Second Life will even allow Birmingham to host
events in the virtual world, or showcase displays and exhibitions. Other companies such as Gibson Musical Instruments, have created special versions of their website for the iPad and iPhone."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Casteleyn, J., Mottart, A., & Rutten, K. (2009). How to use Facebook in your market research. International Journal of Market Research, 51(4), 439-447. Retrieved from Business Source Premier database.
- Christofides, E., Muise, A., & Desmarais, S. (2009). Information Disclosure and Control on Facebook: Are They Two Sides of the Same Coin or Two Different Processes?. CyberPsychology & Behavior, 12(3), 341-345. doi:10.1089/cpb.2008.0226.
- CEOs Cautious About Social Networking. (2009). Information Management (15352897), 43(5), 10-11. Retrieved from Business Source Premier database.
- Elzweig, B., & Peeples, D. (2009). Using Social Networking Web Sites in Hiring and Retention Decisions. SAM Advanced Management Journal (07497075), 74(4), 27-35. Retrieved from Business Source Premier database.
- Hawn, C. (2009). Take Two Aspirin And Tweet Me In The Morning: How Twitter, Facebook, And Other Social Media Are Reshaping Health Care. Health Affairs, 28(2), 361-368. doi:10.1377/hlthaff.28.2.361
Cite this Analytical Essay:
Business Use of Social Networks (2011, May 25) Retrieved June 09, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/business-use-of-social-networks-147625/
"Business Use of Social Networks" 25 May 2011. Web. 09 June. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/business-use-of-social-networks-147625/>