$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This essay examines the evolving role of a nurse in the nursing profession. It focuses on issues such as the origin of professional nursing, roles and characteristics of the professional nurse, nursing education and factors influencing contemporary professional practice. The role of NPs and socio-political influence on nursing are evaluated for the changing role of a nurse within the medical community. The paper finds that in nursing today, the main stress is on producing nursing practitioners with critical thinking and appraisal skills. Further, the paper finds that, by definition, nursing has different themes that include preventing illness and promoting the health of the public.
From the Paper:"In this century, the nursing practice is influenced by many social, economical and political factors such as economics, consumer demands, health policy formulations and others. Firstly, increase in the health care cost present challenges for nursing and this forces the nursing practice to move from in-patient to outpatient care such as post-hospitalisation rehabilitation, health education settings and community clinics (Kozier et al., 2008)."
Sample of Sources Used:
- American Nurses Association (1980) Nursing: A social policy statement. Kansas: ANA. Cited in Royal College of Nursing (2003) Defining Nursing: def. Nursing is... . London: RCN.
- American Nurses Association (2010) Considering Nursing? Silver Spring: ANA. [Online] Available from http://www.nursingworld.org/EspeciallyForYou/StudentNurses.aspx[Accessed 16th May 2010]
- Andre, K. & Barnes, L. (2010) Creating a 21st century nursing workforce: Designing a Bachelor of Nursing program in response to the health reform agenda. Nurse Education Today.30, 258-263.
- Bahadori, A. & Fitzpatrick, J.J. (2009) Level of autonomy of primary care nurse practitioners. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners. 21, 513-519.
- Brown, J. & Libberton, P. (2007) Principles of Professional Studies in Nursing. Houndmills: Palgrave Macmillan.
Cite this Analytical Essay:
An Examination of the Role of the Professional Nurse (2010, July 04) Retrieved August 13, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/an-examination-of-the-role-of-the-professional-nurse-128189/
"An Examination of the Role of the Professional Nurse" 04 July 2010. Web. 13 August. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/an-examination-of-the-role-of-the-professional-nurse-128189/>