Abraham Lincoln's Leadership Style
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper commences by defining the concept of management and by summarizing the life of Abraham Lincoln. Next, the author evaluates Lincoln in the context of communication, leading, master of paradox, character, persuasion, building strong coalitions, changing and staying his course, giving positive criticism and interaction. The paper concludes that Lincoln's management style was democratic and benevolent rather than being authoritarian or laissez-faire.
From the Paper:"A democratic style of management is one that puts trust in workers and encourages them to make decisions. The manager delegates to them the authority for decision making (empowerment) and listens to their opinion. This approach requires a good two-way communication channel which is evident in Lincoln's leadership. It often involves formation of democratic discussion groups which come up with constructive ideas and suggestions. Lincoln gave and took suggestions from his generals. In a democratic style, managers must be keen to support leadership skills in workers."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Farina, M. (2006, November 13). Leadership, Abraham Lincoln Style. Retrieved May 7, 2010, from www.mattfarina.com: http://www.mattfarina.com/2006/11/13/leadership_abraham_lincoln_style
- Johannsen, R. W., McDonough, D. J., & Noe, K. W. (2006). Politics and culture of the Civil War era (Revised ed.). Pennsylvania, USA: Susquehanna University Press.
- Kearns, D. G. (2009). Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln (Illustrated ed.). New York, USA: Penguin.
- Lincoln, A. (1977). Quotations from Abraham Lincoln (illustrated ed.). Carolina, USA: Nelson-Hall.
- Lincoln, A., & McCurdy, M. (1998). The Gettysburg Address (Illustrated ed.). New York, USA: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
Cite this Analytical Essay:
Abraham Lincoln's Leadership Style (2011, April 06) Retrieved March 05, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/abraham-lincoln-leadership-style-147449/
"Abraham Lincoln's Leadership Style" 06 April 2011. Web. 05 March. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/abraham-lincoln-leadership-style-147449/>