A Critical Review of the Current Literature on Autism
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
In this autism literature review, the author begins by stating that the body of literature that deals with autism has grown considerably in recent years. The author goes on to discuss the idea that research on specific areas of the treatment of autism is not as prolific and this includes the focus on nursing care, treatment and management of the autistic child. He also looks at problems related to communication and environment and sources of stress and parental issues. The author concludes that extensive research is still needed in certain areas and the subject of autism in children is complex, with each child having his/her own set of needs, which puts nurses in a good place to develop new ideas for care.
From the Paper:"There are many general studies and overviews of autism. Valuable data relating to the main themes of this review can be gleaned from these sources. An example is, Autism: recognizing the signs in young children by Jennifer Humphries. The study stresses that early diagnosis of autism is important, and that this has implications in terms of the role of the nurse. Another general but valuable resource is AUTISM: Assessment and Management ( 2007). This overview discusses the various aspects of autism, including different treatment modalities. Among the modalities that are discussed are pharmacotherapy, special education, speech, communication therapy, and behavior modification. The discussion on communication therapy is particularly pertinent to the present study. (Azeem and Imran, 2007) Another general overview of autism and nursing is Autism Spectrum Disorders by Hollander ( 2003)."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Autistic Kids Benefit from Dads' Involvement', [Online] Available at: http://www.nurseweek.com/news/Features/05-03/Autism.asp
- Azeem M. and Imran N. 2007, Autism: Assessment and Management, [Online] Available at: http://pjms.com.pk/issues/octdec207/article/reviewarticle2.html
- Bakken et al. 2008, 'Observing communication skills in staff interacting with adults suffering from intellectual disability, autism and schizophrenia', Nursing Science & Research in the Nordic Countries, March 22, 2008
- Galinat K. et al. 'Caring for Children With Autism in the School Setting', [Online] Available at: http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-182815431.html
- Beste L. 2007, Facilitated communication: significance of and use to the nursing of persons with autism with severe disabilities of action and communication, Pflege, volume 20, no. 1, pp. 15-33.
Cite this Analytical Essay:
A Critical Review of the Current Literature on Autism (2011, August 19) Retrieved December 04, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/a-critical-review-of-the-current-literature-on-autism-147981/
"A Critical Review of the Current Literature on Autism" 19 August 2011. Web. 04 December. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/analytical-essay/a-critical-review-of-the-current-literature-on-autism-147981/>