In order to write an analytical essay, you must be able to break down an object into its separate parts, examine those separate parts, and explain the relationship between those parts as well as how those relationships might affect or create the object as a whole. It's not a simple task, but there is a definite process to follow when writing an analytical essay. This process is outlined below:
1. Choosing a Topic
- Fortunately, you can write an analytical essay on just about anything, so you'll have a wide choice of topics. The important thing is to choose a topic that you find interesting.
- Once you've decided on a topic, before proceeding with your paper, do some basic research to make sure you have sufficient and reliable sources that you will be able to cite in your paper.
- If you're having problems finding a topic, take some time to look at a few sample analytical essays for ideas that might inspire you. Sometimes you might find it worthwhile to buy some essay samples just for ideas about interesting topics. Sample essays are also useful for learning about proper format, citation, style etc.
2. Know the Format for an Analytical Essay
There are a number of types of analytical essays, but all follow the basic essay format of the introduction, body, and conclusion:
- Introduction: The introduction should include an interesting, engaging opening statement, a thesis statement, which is the main item in the introduction, and a sentence explaining the focus of the paper.
- Body: The body of the paper should have at least four paragraphs with each paragraph making its own argument. Each paragraph should also have transitional sentences, and supporting evidence.
- Conclusion: The conclusion is where you restate the thesis of your paper and briefly summarize the main arguments presented in your paper. Do not introduce new arguments in your conclusion.
3. Organization of an Analytical Essay
- While you research, take detailed notes of not only the material you intend to quote, but also where you found the material so it's easy to properly quote your sources in your paper. Try to organize your research into the order of your supporting paragraphs.
- Use credible resources for your research and make sure you follow the rules of the citation style you intend to use.
- When formulating your thesis, think about what you are trying to prove and if you can prove it given the available resources.
- Create an outline of your paper and when adding the outline for the body paragraphs, remember that the purpose of the analysis essay is to break down the subject into separate parts and then analyze those separate parts. Keeping this in mind will help you stay focused on your arguments.
Analytical writing helps you hone your critical thinking skills as well as your writing skills, which makes analytical essay writing a frequent requirement in college. The faster you master these basic steps, the better off you'll be. If you're still struggling, you should take advantage of the vast selection of online writing help available. Many writing sites offer a lot in the way of helpful instruction, tips and insights.
Recently published analytical essays
An in-depth examination of enterprise resource planning and business process re-engineering.# 154278 | 4,293 words | 35 sources | 2013$19.95 Add to cart
An examination of the literature on the legacy of Western intervention in African countries.# 154232 | 1,770 words | 4 sources | 2014 |$19.95 Add to cart
A discussion on the media's impact on women's body image.# 154224 | 1,550 words | 3 sources | 2015 |$19.95 Add to cart
An analysis of the themes of success and identity in James Weldon Johnson 's "Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man".# 154221 | 892 words | 2 sources | 2013 |$19.95 Add to cart
A comparison and contrast of the modern development of Mumbai and Shanghai.# 154206 | 3,111 words | 23 sources | 2015 |$19.95 Add to cart
An analysis of how Ernest Hemingway developed a code of ethics for his characters in "A Clean and Well-Lighted Place" and "Fifty Grand".# 154200 | 821 words | 0 sources | 2015 |$19.95 Add to cart
An in-depth economic analysis of Taiwan.# 154199 | 2,447 words | 12 sources | 2015 |$19.95 Add to cart
An in-depth analysis of how China's political and economic processes have impacted the current state of shikumen houses.# 154197 | 2,849 words | 28 sources | 2015 |$19.95 Add to cart
A discussion on explosives in the civilian world.# 154196 | 1,316 words | 12 sources | 2015 |$19.95 Add to cart
A brief discussion on conspiracy theories and the role they play in society.# 154194 | 916 words | 4 sources | 2014 |$19.95 Add to cart