Knowing how to write a college admission essay is critical to the college admission process. Admission essays reveal things about the student that high marks and SAT scores just can't. But don't despair. Listed below are some solid tips you can follow to learn how to write a college admission essay.
College Admission Essay Topic
- Choose a topic that interests you and about which you are enthusiastic. Your enthusiasm should be evident in your essay.
- Be original. Find a topic that will distinguish your college admission essay from other essays.
- Choosing topics that are controversial is fine as long as you write objectively and in a way that demonstrates your critical and analytical thinking skills.
- Choose a topic that shows why you would be an asset to that college.
- Be genuine and honest. Don't try to oversell yourself. This will be obvious and distasteful to the reader. On the other hand, sincerity and conviction are also obvious, but will be appreciated by the reader.
- Write the way you speak, but avoid using too many cliches or too much slang. Be conversational, but not too informal.
- Write concisely and accurately. Maintain focus on your topic so your essay flows and is coherent.
- Use examples, names, and descriptions to make your essay more vivid and more interesting.
- Aim for clarity. Keep your sentences short and precise, and choose your vocabulary wisely. Avoid long, convoluted sentences.
College Admission Essay Format
- Follow basic essay format: an introductory paragraph, body paragraphs and a concluding paragraph. The first paragraph should introduce your topic. The body paragraphs should provide evidence to support your topic. The conclusion should summarize what you've written.
- Follow special instructions such as word count, font, citation style etc.
- There are plenty of sites out there that can help you write just about any type of essay including college admission essays, graduate admission essays, research papers etc. Check these sites out to see what they have to offer.
- If you need to see a sample of an essay, it might be worth it to buy a paper and use it as a model for your own paper. A lot can be learned just by viewing sample college admission essays.
In short, knowing how to write a college admission essay comes down to two things: 1) showing the admissions officer who you are and why you would be an asset to the college; and 2) showing that you know how to write clearly, concisely, and analytically - just like a college student.
Recently published admission essays
A discussion on the causes and lessons from the genocide in Rwanda.# 154304 | 3,356 words | 20 sources | 2015 |$19.95 Add to cart
A research paper that investigates how objectives for this author's human resource management (HRM) module were met through the application of various theories.# 154302 | 3,045 words | 20 sources | 2015 |$19.95 Add to cart
A case study to explain the importance of service user and carer participation.# 154241 | 2,644 words | 13 sources | 2015 |$19.95 Add to cart
A social work case study, with reference to the theories of Bronfenbrenner, Piaget and Bowlby.# 154240 | 2,770 words | 26 sources | 2015 |$19.95 Add to cart
A review of the theories on loss and bereavement and the achievement of well-being.# 154236 | 934 words | 5 sources | 2015 |$19.95 Add to cart
A social worker evaluates his/her communication skills and how he/she built a relationship with the service user.# 154235 | 2,543 words | 10 sources | 2015 |$19.95 Add to cart
A description of the four learning styles of children.# 154225 | 978 words | 4 sources | 2015 |$19.95 Add to cart
A discussion on the causes of rape with a focus on the topic of male entitlement.# 154218 | 2,531 words | 12 sources | 2015 |$19.95 Add to cart
A proposal for a video on recycling and the materials suitable for recycling.# 154209 | 1,257 words | 1 source | 2015 |$19.95 Add to cart
An analysis of the British Airways business model.# 154201 | 1,463 words | 11 sources | 2015 |$19.95 Add to cart