Theory in Social Work
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses the use of theories within social work in order to inform practice. In particular it compares two popular theories, cognitive behavioural therapy and task-centred work. It attempts to show some of the positive and negative aspects of the theories involved, in relation to service user's feelings at being the beneficiary of such work. It also looks at how the use of theories can influence the levels of empowerment, an anti-oppressive practice within social work, and the level of service user participation attained by the use of such theories.
From the Paper:"Task-centred theory has five states to its approach which are exploring problems, reaching an agreement, identifying and objective, task achievement and finally termination of the work (Howe 1987). It is an approach which focuses on how individuals interact within their own environment, in order for improvements to be made in their current circumstances, by the accomplishment of negotiated and easily achievable tasks. This method relies on the service user making decisions about what they want changing and enables them to identify resources they already have in order to achieve this. This approach can increase the awareness and self esteem of service users and is in direct contrast to the theory of labelling (Coulshed and Orme 1998).
Sample of Sources Used:
- COULSHED, V., & ORME, J., Social Work Practice an Introduction, 3rd Edition, (1998), Palgrave, Ebbw Vale.
- ADAMS, R., DOMINELLI, L., & PAYNE, M., Social Work Themes, Issues and Critical Debates, 2nd Edition, (2002), Palgrave, Great Britain.
- MILNER, J., & O'BRYNE, P., Assessment in Social Work, 2nd Edition, (2002), (2 sets), Palgrave MacMillan, Ebbw Vale.
- PAYNE, M., Modern Social Work Theory, a Critical Introduction, (1991), MacMillan, Basingstoke..
- THOMPSON, N., Understanding Social Work, Preparing for Practice, (2000), Palrave, Great Britain.
Cite this Term Paper:
Theory in Social Work (2007, June 13) Retrieved December 22, 2014, from http://www.academon.com/term-paper/theory-in-social-work-95996/
"Theory in Social Work" 13 June 2007. Web. 22 December. 2014. <http://www.academon.com/term-paper/theory-in-social-work-95996/>