The Current Nursing Shortage in Canada
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses the current nursing shortage in Canada. It looks at the issues that contribute to the nursing shortage, such as low pay, poor working conditions and a serious lack of resources. The paper focuses on the issues of recruitment and retention and why these have become problems for the nursing profession. Lastly, it suggests some solutions to improve the current crisis.
Table of Contents:
Table of Contents:
From the Paper:"The prognosis for the nursing shortage is that it will become much worse while Canada's population is beginning to age. The two issues that need to be addressed are retention and recruitment through multiple changes. Meanwhile, there are positive developments such as the RNAO initiative which will ensure work for every current nursing graduate because of $89 million in funding for 4,000 graduates and similar funding in future years (RNAO, 2007). Such changes indicate that nurses can effectively address the nursing shortage by being assertive and advocating for their profession."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Hagerman, L. (2005). Fears for the future. The Canadian Nurse, 101(4), 11.
- Ledgister, M. (2003). The nursing shortage crisis. International Journal of Health Care Quality Assurance, 16(1), 11-19.
- Registered Nurses Association of Ontario (RNAO) (2007). Ontario RNs applaud investment in nursing's future. Media Release. http://www.rnao.org/Page.asp?PageID=122&ContentID=1759&SiteNodeID=382
- Registered Nurses Association of Ontario (RNAO) (2005). RNAO to urge government to halt nursing cuts. Media Release. http://www.rnao.org/media_rom/releases/MR_050127_Day_at_Queens_Park.asp
- Registered Practical Nurses Association of Ontario (RPNAO) (2006). Nursing retention fund. http://www.rpnao.org/sni/nrf.asp?itemid=1028&itemcode=RPNAO-SNI-NRF&it=1031
Cite this Term Paper:
The Current Nursing Shortage in Canada (2008, July 04) Retrieved March 28, 2015, from http://www.academon.com/term-paper/the-current-nursing-shortage-in-canada-105322/
"The Current Nursing Shortage in Canada" 04 July 2008. Web. 28 March. 2015. <http://www.academon.com/term-paper/the-current-nursing-shortage-in-canada-105322/>